Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:31 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

This is a good movie. A great movie, actually.

Animation design was amazing--they perfected the animation of a comic book. It never left its comic book concept, and they did it perfectly, blending a number of different comic styles, old and new, and then modern styles across the spectrum. They might need to display a warning to people with epilepsy, though.

And the story was both good and surprising. Oh, the end was not surprising, but the route to it was full of surprises. And I was surprised that this was a pretty long movie.

It was funny and bleak. There were repeating sequences that would sound boring, but absolutely weren't because you're paying such attention to how each was different. The evolution of Miles Morales is good and touching as he struggles to come into himself as a person and as a Spider-man. Interestingly, it appears every Spider-man has to have his or her own "Uncle Ben" turnpoint in life--a common point in every universe.

The diversity is shown more subtly than "Homecoming," and Brooklyn seemed like a real place.

I lost count of how many times they leaned hard on the fourth wall without actually breaking it. Journeying through the multiverse allowed it a level of meta-consciousness that wasn't quite breaking the fourth wall, because what was a fourth wall in one universe was just one of the three walls of another universe. This concept allows them, for instance, to joke about the other Sony Spider-man movies as though they were incarnations of other universes. I mean...they made Spider-ham work.

And yes, there is a Stan Lee cameo--the very best and most touching. And the Aunt May of Miles' universe is a cool--but old--Aunt May. Lilly Tomlin was a good choice for voice.

And there is an end-credit scene which makes some sense of the very last seconds of the main movie.

There was one thing I didn't like: I didn't like the design of Kingpin. Kingpin was more like a villain design from Chester Gould (Dick Tracy) than the Marvel bullpen.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 12-16-2018 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Glad you liked it, Ralph. I won't be going to see it — won't pay to see it, rather. I'm not into the "Spiderverse" as a concept, i.e. Spider-Man, Spider-Ock, Spider-Gwen, and all that jazz. And Peter Porker was initially a parody character, and should have remained so.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Glad you liked it, Ralph. I won't be going to see it — won't pay to see it, rather. I'm not into the "Spiderverse" as a concept, i.e. Spider-Man, Spider-Ock, Spider-Gwen, and all that jazz. And Peter Porker was initially a parody character, and should have remained so.
I actually felt the same way, and I'd have gone to see Aquaman first, except that nothing else was playing and my wife wanted me to get her out of the house.

I'm not into all the many Spider-verses. I've never read any of the other 'verse comics, I've never read a Miles Morales comic, and I'm not a fan of race-bending or gender-bending in comics in general.

But I think they did an excellent job with this one...I'm living proof that you don't have to be into it to like this movie.

Those who have not been into all the 'verses of Spider-man are given enough information to enjoy the story, and those who are Spider-man aficionados will enjoy all the Spider lore they have stuffed into this movie.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 12-16-2018 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I actually felt the same way, and I'd have gone to see Aquaman first, except that nothing else was playing and my wife wanted me to get her out of the house.
I'm in the same boat. I'd like to see both movies but am content to wait for the DVD for both. Which I actually go see in the theater will likely depend on which one my kids drag me to see.

Quote:
I'm not into all the many Spider-verses. I've never read any of the other 'verse comics, I've never read a Miles Morales comic, and I'm not a fan of race-bending or gender-bending in comics in general.
I have a general distaste for "alternate universe" stories. It's rare that it doesn't come across as a gimmick for gimmick's sake.

But the Miles Morales comics are actually really, really good. If you like comics at all, you should check them out. I find Brian Bendis very hit-and-miss as a writer. When he is concentrating on a small group of core characters and has free reign, there is no one better. When he is shoe horned into established storylines, he doesn't do so well. And he really struggles to make super hero teams interesting.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:54 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post

Peter Porker lol dead.

I might see it. I don't know. Lately I hate going to the movies. Its loud and crowded and expensive.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'd like to see both movies but am content to wait for the DVD for both. Which I actually go see in the theater will likely depend on which one my kids drag me to see.
This movie is one of those that works better on a big screen. When I've gone back and looked at trailers, I see that small screens really do miss a great deal of the "texture" of the animation.

I may even watch this one again in 3D, which I usually do not find worth the premium.

I like some alternate universe stories. I liked the Fringe alternate universe, for instance.

In this case, the mentoring of all the alternate universe Spider-men is crucial to Miles Morales maturing into a Spider-man. The emphasis here is that "Spider-man" is a calling...just being bitten by a radioactive spider (or a radioactive pig, in the case of Peter Porker) doesn't make someone a Spider-man. One has to heed the call to become a Spider-man.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:21 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Thanks for the review, Ralph_Kirk. Sounds like I definitely need to see this one! (And since Aquaman is out next weekend, it's going to be a superhero double-feature at the movies when I go!)

Old 12-17-2018, 09:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:

But I think they did an excellent job with this one...I'm living proof that you don't have to be into it to like this movie.

Those who have not been into all the 'verses of Spider-man are given enough information to enjoy the story, and those who are Spider-man aficionados will enjoy all the Spider lore they have stuffed into this movie.
From what I understand, there is no race or gender bending. What exists in the alternate universe is what it is. Peter Parker is still a white man. He just doesn't solely own the experience of being a spider person.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
From what I understand, there is no race or gender bending. What exists in the alternate universe is what it is. Peter Parker is still a white man. He just doesn't solely own the experience of being a spider person.
Well, there were complaints regarding both the Afro/Latino Spider-man as well as the Spider-woman when they first came out in the comics, and movie fans are usually more crazed that comics fans all over again.

And sometimes, movies push agendas.

There were no agendas being obviously pushed in this production.

Personally, I have always preferred superheroes who are as they were created--such as Black Panther, Luke Cage, and Wonder Woman--to characters that just put on a white male superhero's boots. So I've never been impressed by a black Captain America or a female Thor done for political purposes. I was much happier seeing Black Panther and Wonder Woman finally get their due respect.

But when we even have "Spider-ham," that puts a different spin on things. As I said earlier, they have made being a Spider-man--notice, I said "a" Spider-man--a calling rather than a person. The point explicitly stated by Stan Lee long ago is that anyone can respond to the call--anyone could be a Spider-man in his own universe or even neighborhood.

So there could be a white Spider-man in Queens and a black Spider-man in Brooklyn, and that would be okay.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 12-17-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Well, there were complaints regarding both the Afro/Latino Spider-man as well as the Spider-woman when they first came out in the comics, and movie fans are usually more crazed that comics fans all over again.

And sometimes, movies push agendas.

There were no agendas being obviously pushed in this production.

Personally, I have always preferred superheroes who are as they were created--such as Black Panther, Luke Cage, and Wonder Woman--to characters that just put on a white male superhero's boots. So I've never been impressed by a black Captain America or a female Thor done for political purposes. I was much happier seeing Black Panther and Wonder Woman finally get their due respect.

But when we even have "Spider-ham," that puts a different spin on things. As I said earlier, they have made being a Spider-man--notice, I said "a" Spider-man--a calling rather than a person. The point explicitly stated by Stan Lee long ago is that anyone can respond to the call--anyone could be a Spider-man in his own universe or even neighborhood.

So there could be a white Spider-man in Queens and a black Spider-man in Brooklyn, and that would be okay.
Dude, it's not that deep. Writers wrote alternate universe and populated them with different spider people. That's it. Accept it.

No need to get worked up over comics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies