Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I can see both sides and have a hard time getting too worked up about either one.

I'm all for more ethnically diverse super heroes. But I'd much rather see *original heroes than simply retconning existing super heroes. Peter Parker is Spider-Man. I agree.

On the other hand, I read the Miles Morales comics and loved them. Great stories. And I liked this movie BY FAR more than any of the previous Spidey flicks. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters: Was it a great story?

*NOTE: And the thing is, Marvel has them. Want a Japanese super hero? Sunfire has been around since the '70s. Want a Hispanic super hero? Firebird / La Espirita has been around since the '80s --- and is a VERY different take on super heroes than anything we've seen onscreen so far.
Isn't Peter Parker in the movie? He exists in his universe. What happens when Peter dies?

Is being Spider Man a title or something specific to one man? Could an elderly SM pass on the mantle to someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 10:00 AM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Isn't Peter Parker in the movie? He exists in his universe. What happens when Peter dies?

Is being Spider Man a title or something specific to one man? Could an elderly SM pass on the mantle to someone else?
That's very much they bring out in this movie. There are actually at least two Peter Parkers. The one we know is in our universe (designated 616 in Marvel-speak).

There is a Peter Parker in Miles Morales' universe (I don't recall its number). But it's the Peter Parker from our universe that becomes his mentor for a while. He also learns of Spider-beings from other universes as well.

But even though Miles Morales gets "powers" from a spider (although Spider-Ham is a spider that had been bitten by a radioactive pig), having powers doesn't make him a Spider-man. Becoming a Spider-man is a matter of both grief and determination, and a willingness to step into the role.

That's why the Stan Lee cameo was particularly touching because it emphasized (as does this movie) what Lee had always said about the Spider-man character.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:29 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So what are you saying? You're rejecting the multiverse concept?
If I rejected it outright, I would be a hypocrite. Because of the multiple Earths (or multiverse) concept, we got what I still consider the greatest multiverse saga ever: Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Rather, what Mark said:

Quote:
I'm all for more ethnically diverse super heroes. But I'd much rather see *original heroes than simply retconning existing super heroes. Peter Parker is Spider-Man. I agree.
There are some characters that are simply too unique who shouldn't be Xeroxed. Marvel has tampered with Spider-Man to the point of disdain. They crap out stuff like Spider-Ock and Spider-Gwen, which is beyond silly.

Peter Parker is Spider-Man. If there's an alternate universe Peter, okay. DC did that with their characters for decades. But it's like seeing "Daredevil of Universe XYZ." It dulls the appeal.

Quote:
*NOTE: And the thing is, Marvel has them. Want a Japanese super hero? Sunfire has been around since the '70s. Want a Hispanic super hero? Firebird / La Espirita has been around since the '80s --- and is a VERY different take on super heroes than anything we've seen onscreen so far.
Don't forget Thunderbird. He was a part of the rebooted X-Men in the '70s.

Which reminds me of another thing: I liked it when Monica Rambeau became the new Captain Marvel in the early '80s. But she didn't have the same costume. She had her own look. Her origin was different, and her powers worked differently. She just took the title because Carol Danvers had become Binary.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:55 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I took the advice of the OP and others and saw the movie over the weekend. It was very good, IMHO. I'm old and old school so the only Spider-Man I knew and read was the original Peter Parker. I liked all the other dimension spider people, especially the middle aged one. Ya gotta love old Spidey in sweatpants! Plus the production was excellent, you did feel like you were reading a comic book.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:45 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Man...saw this on Blu-Ray. Wish I had seen this in the theater. This was an entertaining movie from start to finish. Was fresh and didn't follow any of the standard formulas, which was a nice change up.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:16 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Finally saw this now that it's on Netflix. Wish I had seen in theaters. Kid 2 doesn't like to sit still in movies, even animated ones, so we don't get to as many. Have seen it 3x now. In love with it.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 2,571 times
Lots of Spiders in this movie. Different Spidermans from different dimensions.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Two words.

Spider pig!!

Old 07-13-2019, 03:43 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham. Get it right.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham. Get it right.
Make some bacon out of him and call it a day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies