Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM

124 posts, read 239,007 times

Advertisements

For example Mama, zombie movies, paranormal activity,hostel, the ring, they all seem fake and bloody

For me the best scary movies are from the 60s-90s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,192 times
I agree, I think the older films were scarier because their was less hype and special effects, the older ones had a lot more pathos and eire theme music.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
I feel the same. I think the scariest movies are the ones done in the 70's and 80's. Its something about the grittier special affects and they way they greated tension and atmosphere then that they fail to do today. For instance, there is way too much reliance on CGI and computerized special effects.

I still feel lik the best horror movie of all time is The Exorcist, made in 1972 with all mechanical effects. Few movies today to could match its intensity. Nowadays everything is all blood and gore, which is not that scary. You can used to it and it doesn't affect you anymore.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:49 PM

981 posts, read 1,621,424 times
Perhaps the new Evil Dead, which will not use CGI beyond one scene, might appeal to you.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I feel the same. I think the scariest movies are the ones done in the 70's and 80's. Its something about the grittier special affects and they way they greated tension and atmosphere then that they fail to do today. For instance, there is way too much reliance on CGI and computerized special effects.

I still feel lik the best horror movie of all time is The Exorcist, made in 1972 with all mechanical effects. Few movies today to could match its intensity. Nowadays everything is all blood and gore, which is not that scary. You can used to it and it doesn't affect you anymore.
The Exorcist got deep under one's skin. The atmosphere, The tension and progressive and unrelenting deterioration of Reagan's condition and effect on the other characters was amazing. The director kept actor Jason Miller on edge by firing a gun on set at intermittent times around him. Real old-school film making.

The Sentinal and the Entity were also terrific for supernatural horror.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
For example Mama, zombie movies, paranormal activity,hostel, the ring, they all seem fake and bloody

The Ring startled me a few times and creeped me out a bit, but I see what you are saying. I love The Walking Dead, and although a few scenes have made me jump, in general it doesn't scare me. Just because something is gory, that doesn't mean it's scary. Fright generally comes from suspense, and for that, I turn to thrillers, not horror. Silence of the Lambs had me shaking the first time I saw it.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,847 times
there to predictable for me as well as fake

Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I agree, I think the older films were scarier because their was less hype and special effects, the older ones had a lot more pathos and eire theme music.
Alfred Hitchcock in an interview was once asked about the incredibly long sequences in his movie when nothing happens and he said that the essence of the suspense was allowing the viewer to identify with the character first, and then the viewer can feel an emotional bond when the character is in danger.

He felt that watching Cary Grant in North by Northwest wait for someone that doesn't show in the hot and dusty cornfields until he is hot tired and angry was critical to building the terror when the pilot of the crop plane tries to kill him. Non stop action is by nature not tension building.

It has less to do with the presence or absence of special effects. Nobody wants to make a movie with long sequences without action.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,639 times
Tye movies of today attempt to scare your visually, using CGI, blood, gore, etc. They also make too many attempts to startle as opposed to terrify.

On the other hand, movies in the 70's-90's - or even earlier - could not rely on CGI to scare you visually. The best ones succeeded in scaring you mentally and emotionally. And that is a hell of a lot more scarier.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM

580 posts, read 965,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post

The scary movies today are about showing as much blood and gore and dead bodies as possible. That's what it seems like to me. The old movies like The Thing or Invasion of The Body Snatchers or even The Birds brought a psychological bent on the horror movie or suspense thriller genre. Even the old Nightmare on Elmstreet movies were scary. Now it's just getting sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies