Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 12:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times

Advertisements

The biggest places to close movie theaters are New York City and Los Angeles (I think not all of LA County). What impact do you think that will have on the movie industry if it lasts more than a few weeks and/or, in accordance with CDC guidelines, happens nationwide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 06:20 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
I've stepped back from posting, but this is something that was on my mind for years and I have a fairly good idea of how it might play out. It will be a time that marks an end to motion picture exhibition as has been common. Barring some miracle, the restrictions on public gathering are going to continue for much longer than has been put forth for general public consumption at this time. Once the restrictions have been in place long enough to be "normal," there will be two types of reactions to any end of them. First will be a rebound when restrictions are lifted, but then there will be a general unease that maybe large groups of strangers in dark rooms are not all that wise. Exhibitors will likely go bankrupt throughout the event and aftermath or have to reorganize and shrink to a specialty market.

As big an issue as the restrictions at the theatres are all the various production companies that have stopped development, creating a hole in product and loss of income production that will continue the drought for another six months to a year.

Temporarily, there may be a call for the return of drive-in theatres. The downside issue would be the restrooms, but otherwise there is isolation and yet a group experience, something that a lot of people are likely to crave in the absence of ANY other large social gatherings. Drive in church services may also make a comeback.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
It'll have a huge impact.

Regal Cinemas, owned by British exhibitor Cineworld, said it would close all its locations indefinitely, starting Tuesday. Knoxville, Tenn.-based Regal operates 542 theaters accounting for 7,155 screens, making it one of the nation’s largest circuits.

AMC Theatres said it would close all of its U.S. locations, starting Tuesday, for six to 12 weeks in response to the pandemic after President Trump declared that people should avoid gatherings of more than 10 people.

The movie theater closures come at a fragile time for the theatrical film business, which was under pressure from changes in moviegoer habits even before the spread of COVID-19. Studio distribution executives, who were not authorized to comment, said the situation was fluid and it was not clear yet how many U.S. theaters were shuttered or how much it would affect business.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...capacity-to-50

Old 03-17-2020, 12:47 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
I hadn't heard that. Wow.

Also, Harry made some very interesting points. I'll only address the drive-in rebirth idea. I don't foresee that. Few modern moviegoers have much personal nostalgia for that, it would lower audio and visual quality, pose environmental and non-disease safety risks, including dates having to travel together when trust hasn't been earned....

Old 03-17-2020, 06:51 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
Hysteria has struck an industry once thought unshakeable and indomitable a potentially fatal blow...

Old 03-17-2020, 06:54 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've stepped back from posting, but this is something that was on my mind for years and I have a fairly good idea of how it might play out. It will be a time that marks an end to motion picture exhibition as has been common. Barring some miracle, the restrictions on public gathering are going to continue for much longer than has been put forth for general public consumption at this time. Once the restrictions have been in place long enough to be "normal," there will be two types of reactions to any end of them. First will be a rebound when restrictions are lifted, but then there will be a general unease that maybe large groups of strangers in dark rooms are not all that wise. Exhibitors will likely go bankrupt throughout the event and aftermath or have to reorganize and shrink to a specialty market.

As big an issue as the restrictions at the theatres are all the various production companies that have stopped development, creating a hole in product and loss of income production that will continue the drought for another six months to a year.

Temporarily, there may be a call for the return of drive-in theatres. The downside issue would be the restrooms, but otherwise there is isolation and yet a group experience, something that a lot of people are likely to crave in the absence of ANY other large social gatherings. Drive in church services may also make a comeback.
The experience will persevere. There will be always those who yearn for a theatrical presentation, a concert or recital, a reading or similar group activity. Not everyone is going to succumb to "smartphone theater."

Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
... there will be a general unease that maybe large groups of strangers in dark rooms are not all that wise.
I don't know. If theater attendance didn't decline after the Aurora, CO (Batman) shootings, I'm not sure that this will make an impact.

Quote:
Temporarily, there may be a call for the return of drive-in theatres.
True. Families might be the biggest attendees.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:17 AM

1,361 posts, read 553,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
What impact do you think that will have on the movie industry if it lasts more than a few weeks and/or, in accordance with CDC guidelines, happens nationwide?
They won't miss me. Other than seeing 1917 last month because "it's a movie you have to see it theaters" as I was told... I haven't been to theaters in about 2 years since I purchased my 65" OLED and Dolby Atmos home theater.

Why go to the theaters when you can have it at home? I have a collection of over 1200 blue ray and 4K UHD discs. Most new releases have Atmos so I just wait out the 90 days... purchase the disc for what I would have spent going to the theater anyway... and watch it at home.

BTW, 1917 releases on disc on Tuesday. Already pre-ordered.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Temporarily, there may be a call for the return of drive-in theatres.
It's happening!

"Drive-in theaters have long been viewed as an anachronistic diversion — perhaps worthy of an occasional visit, if that. Now, though, several among the country’s 305 drive-in theaters are experiencing a surge in interest as traditional movie theaters, theme parks and other entertainment options are forced to close because of governmental advisories designed to increase social distancing during the coronavirus outbreak.

In interviews with The (L.A.) Times, owners of drive-ins in California, Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri said that they remain open, with several reporting increases in business in recent days. Operators said they were mindful of restrictions on large gatherings and would close if a mandate required them to do so."

Amid coronavirus outbreak, drive-in theaters unexpectedly find their moment:
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...rs-coronavirus

Old 03-20-2020, 08:35 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,020,744 times
Maybe Hollywood will soon come to regret doing all they could to put drive-in movie theaters out of business...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies