Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times

Advertisements

It's not just you. One reason I cancelled my account with them, aside from the fact that I wasn't watching enough movies to justify the DVD price, was because I got sick of bad discs. If I go back, it will just be a streaming membership.

Are you in a densely populated or urban area? I am, and I wonder if the amount of handling has to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The type of player makes a huge difference. If you are using a cheapie, you will have problems. A "progressive scan" player costing $150 or more is much more likely to play properly. It is pretty easy to see if a disk will play or not. Sometimes I have to remove a glob or buff a small area, but normally Netflix plays great. Facets, OTOH, has some SERIOUS problems from time to time.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The type of player makes a huge difference. If you are using a cheapie, you will have problems. A "progressive scan" player costing $150 or more is much more likely to play properly. It is pretty easy to see if a disk will play or not. Sometimes I have to remove a glob or buff a small area, but normally Netflix plays great. Facets, OTOH, has some SERIOUS problems from time to time.
Maybe, but I have a good set-up that definitely cost much more than what you've noted, I've never had a problem playing discs I own, and I have received discs from Netflix with more scratches than a camp kid with poison ivy.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
I'd chalk this up to both quality of DVD's being scratched up and to the quality of the DVD player (rather, the laser inside the player and its tolerance for errors). I would definitely suggest cleaning the DVD with a microfiber cloth before inserting it into your player -- that should help with some of the playback issues.

On a related note, blu-rays are much more resilient when it comes to handling wear & tear (read: less prone to scratches that impair playback). I know it's extra money each month, but if you have a nice TV and a blu-ray player, it would totally be worth it to immerse yourself with the richer audio and visual experience that blu-ray offers.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
One other thought - if you don't clean DVDs that have dirt on them, you can get that dirt transferred onto the laser lens, making DVDs that would otherwise play unplayable. There are DVD lens "cleaners" that are DVDs with itty bitty brushes on them that will clean off dust and some dirt. If you have ever seen a tone arm on a record player pick up dust and heard the sound quality go mushy, you understand the problem.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
The data is all the way through the disc so scratches themselves unless all the way through usually wont stop it from playing, it is the dirt that builds up in the scratches so cleaning the disc, as others have mentioned, should fix a lot of the issues.

I have actually been shocked at the nearly zero amount of disc I have gotten from them that are jacked up.

Another thing to note is that it could be the distribution center your disc come from. Maybe they dont do as well as others as handling the disc. Because I have always heard positive things about this regarding Netflix from people.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I had alot of trouble with Netflix videos, on a Sony blue ray player. I also had trouble streamng them on line . Either they would skip, stop, or make me mad. Ultimately cancelled Netflix, since I just never used it much.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 AM

513 posts, read 737,329 times
Thumbs up Never had a problem

I have for the last 2 years ordered old movies from the '30s and '40s, as well as newer titles--also, documentaries and PBS ones (I would think not too many people choose those)--and I've never had a problem with them playing even on an inexpensive DVD player. My account is serviced by the Montgomery AL shipping facility.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 AM

803 posts, read 1,879,692 times
no its not just you, i have problems with netflix too.. i dont get the dvds mailed to me though. i go on netflix and watch movies thru the site and i can tell u that theres a problem with the player. the movies skip or they pause or they dont play at all. what i hate the most about netflix is that the movies sound and picture are never really in sync. i have to keep rebuffering to make it work and its just a headache. i usually end up not watching the movie or show because it just pisses me off that much/

its not my comp as it does it on my app too. i called up netflix and all they can say is that they are working on these issues and thank u for bringing it to their attention. the customer service rep. told me that this has been an ongoing problem. goodluck and i hope they fix this problem soon.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I've only had a problem with one disc over the last several years. It might depend on the genre. Stoner comedies and action movies are always beat to hell. Romance and drama tend to be in decent shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies