Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times

Advertisements

I recently watched The Hobbit and like The Avengers and the latest version of Spiderman it looked really cheesy. I knew it had something to do with the technology but I wasn't exactly sure what.

Now I know. It's the 48 frames per second. Most movies are filmed in 24fps, which gives it a somewhat lower motion quality which lends it its cinematic, hypnotic feel.

48fps looks soap operaish. It's too much like real life and it betrays the fact that the movie is just acting. The Hobbit feels almost self-parodic at times, like you can tell it's all just pretend.

I really hope 48fps isn't the future because I can't stand it. I was born in 1990 so I'm far from old but watching The Hobbit I felt like if this is the future of movies than I will be one of those people who stubbornly clings to the past.

I wonder if people felt the same about talkies or colour films...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
48fps looks soap operaish.
Soaps are recorded on Beta videotape, rather than film. Is that what you mean?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Yeah, I thought The Hobbit looked horrible. I didn't see dwarves and elves on the screen. I saw guys who looked like they had a lot of money to sink into their Ren Faire costumes. Even Gandalf, who was GREAT in the LotR films, looked like he was on his way to a Halloween party.

Peter Jackson really did something amazing with the Tolkien books. With the LotR films, he nailed it. For so long, a successful high quality Fantasy film eluded Hollywood. Then along comes Jackson and essentially says, "THIS is how to do it. This is how it OUGHT to be done!"

Then a few years later he does THE HOBBIT and completely destroys all that. The movie looked bad. The script was bloated (almost beyond comprehension in some seasons). The design went way too cutesy. But hey , the music was good.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I hated the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (huge fan of the books), nothing could be more cheesy than Sam and Frodo. Never could watch any of the films all the way through. Sam and Frodo were just unwatchable, Merry and Pippin weren't much better. The rest of the casting was good except for Liv Tyler.
There was too many long action sequences in The Hobbit, but other than that I thought it was fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies