Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,924,773 times

Advertisements

I've had this irrational fear of loud-mouth women with big noses and New York accents after seeing The Way We Were at too delicate an age. {shiver}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 04:22 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
YES!!!!! Also, ventriloquist dolls. Shudder. Hate. Loathe.
AGREE! Double Shudder.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 AM

17,642 posts, read 17,750,513 times
My sister had just started babysitting when we saw the movie "When A Stranger Calls". She never baby sat ever again.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My sister had just started babysitting when we saw the movie "When A Stranger Calls". She never baby sat ever again.
That was the excuse I used for avoiding babysitting too, but I just hated kids.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,225,740 times
At 60 years of age, I still am uncomfortable taking showers because of Psycho. I get stressed out when the shampoo goes on.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,771,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I know someone who, after seeing Psycho, could not take a shower with an opaque curtain again.

There are lots of films I wouldn't see again for similar reasons, but it's easier just to avoid horror and not watch when something obviously bad is coming.
That would be me as well! I am glad I am not the only one. I watched it as a kid when my aunt decided to watch old horror movies. I was there watching with her.

Fast forward years later now, I dont have shower curtain on my bathtub. Instead I have two clear liners; one act as a liner itself falling into the bathtub, the other one acts as a shower curtain falling outside of the bathtub.

Another movie that kinda traumatized me as a kid was IT. I hate clowns to today. Prior to watching it, I remember having a clown in my birthday party and I was that kid who followed the clown everywhere because I think he / she is funny.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,133,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
This is really embarrassing to admit and I didn't know if I should put this in movies or psychology but here goes.

When I was a little kid (8? 9?) my irresponsible older brother in charge let me watch the TV version of "The Exorcist". My mother was working late I guess and it was easier for him than having to actually watch me. Teenagers. So, I was a pretty gullible little kid as it was and, while we were not Catholic, I was what you'd probably call"quasi-Catholic" anyway because I spent every Sunday at Mass with my close friend whose family was Catholic and I was very familiar with a lot of Catholic teachings.

So at that age, that movie did a number on me that has literally lasted a lifetime. Now, I am 42 years old and I am not scared by movies at all. I haven't been for a long time. I have seen all the classic scary movies and while I may enjoy them, they don't scare me. I've seen other movies in childhood (not that young though!) that didn't scare me much either, The Omen movies, The Shining, Children of the Corn, etc, and if so it wasn't a lasting thing.

The Exorcist, however!? I had nightmares for months that followed seeing it. I was convinced that a demon lived under my bed. I prayed non-stop because I believed that this was the only way to keep from being possessed. I slept with my rosary.

Obviously that got better (and I am not Catholic), but I NEVER watched the film again and to this day, if I hear the opening theme I get chills and a little sick to my stomach.

It all seems really silly when I read it all typed out but I wondered if anyone else had this kind of extreme reaction to a movie, lasting years!? People have told me I should watch it now, as an adult, and that I'd probably find it ridiculous, the way I do most other horror films, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
My dad took my brother and I to see The Birds, and it scared the living **** out of me.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 AM

7,380 posts, read 5,494,406 times
When I was 9 or 10 for some reason I never understood my Mother, who normally monitored what we watched on TV, let my sister and I watch Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. I had nightmares forever about that scene with the lady with her eyes pecked out and had to have the closet door shut when I went to bed and I hated birds for a long time too.
I saw The Excorcist when I was in high school, that freaked me out for a long time too. Whenever I see it's on TV I do NOT watch it.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,133,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
YES!!!!! Also, ventriloquist dolls. Shudder. Hate. Loathe.

God, yes. Buried the needle on my creepy-meter.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,233,952 times
I didn't even have to watch the movie. I was little and they kept playing the ad for a scary movie. The scene is where this little girl is in bed with her doll and falls asleep. The dolls eyes open and the doll rotates and her arms come up and she's reaching for the kids throat.....cut

There wasn't that much variety in dolls those days, the all looked fairly similar. mine went down the basement and i didn't want to go near them.

I was in high school during the exoricist and was terrified. I still hate it when storm winds blow the curtains around, wind in general making noises, things fall over. I get really tense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies