Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,486 times

Advertisements

I know this is looking way down the road but to me the most interesting thing about these latest POTA movies is what the Character George Talyor will be like when he returns to Earth( 3rd or 4th installment?).Do you think he will just retread the same ground as Charlton Heston's Taylor or do you think he will end up being more of fulfillment of the ape's prophecy that a man would come who might destroy their civilization by uniting humanity against the apes? Remember in the original 1968 movie Dr. Zaius was afraid that Taylor was that fulfillment of the ape's prophecy from the sacred scrolls but we were never able to see that play out as Charlton Heston didn't want to do more movies and the sequels went in another direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I don't remember any such prophecy from the movie.

The "sacred scrolls" warned about the savagery of man, but I don't remember any prophecy about a man uniting humanity against the apes.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 AM

I think you are right. The prophecy was about how man needed to be shunned because he was violent and destructive. Near the end Zaius says "I have always feared your coming". I assumed what Zaius meant is that he was afraid a man would come who would be on even ground with the apes and who would be able to unite humanity. From what I have read about the way the character of Taylor was supposed to be, he was to have a child with Nova and lead humanity back from its lowly position.

Last edited by senecaman; 06-20-2014 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Given that these POTA movies are reboots I guess there are several ways you could take Taylor but it seems to me unless he is much more dramatic character than he originally was the franchise will have missed an opportunity. Does anyone really want to see Taylor come to the same end as in "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" where he sees Nova die and then he destroys the world with the Alpha Omega bomb?

Last edited by senecaman; 06-20-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Well, if they do continue to keep moving forward with the story, I hope they will fix one thing:

As much as I loved the original PLANET OF THE APES, I always saw one glaring weakness in it. It wasn't planet of the apes. It was more like small village of the apes. There was no sense of a larger ape society (until the TV show came along).

Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Given that these POTA movies are reboots I guess there are several ways you could take Taylor but it seems to me unless he is much more dramatic character than he originally was the franchise will have missed an opportunity. Does anyone really want to see Taylor come to the same end as in "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" where he sees Nova die and then he destroys the world with the Alpha Omega bomb?
Beneath The Planet of The Apes is one of my favorite so-bad-its-good films. It was just so bizarre and interesting, without making a lick of sense.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Beneath The Planet of The Apes is one of my favorite so-bad-its-good films. It was just so bizarre and interesting, without making a lick of sense.
The part I always remember most from that movie is when Brent finds the poster for a music festival on the tracks of the old subway tunnel. Impossible that it would have lasted that but still eerie.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 AM

So no one wants to take a stab at what type of character Taylor will be when he finally shows up? I mean by the time he does Caesar will have been long gone and Taylor will become the focus of the movies which is why I believe he will be a much more dramatic figure than he was in the original POTA movie. If Taylor just utters the famous line again (Get your stinking paws off me you damned dirty ape !) and basically retreads old ground(LOL Maybe a different reaction to the Statue of Liberty "Hey this planet has one too!") then the franchise will just go out with a wimper.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
So no one wants to take a stab at what type of character Taylor will be when he finally shows up? I mean by the time he does Caesar will have been long gone and Taylor will become the focus of the movies which is why I believe he will be a much more dramatic figure than he was in the original POTA movie. If Taylor just utters the famous line again (Get your stinking paws off me you damned dirty ape !) and basically retreads old ground(LOL Maybe a different reaction to the Statue of Liberty "Hey this planet has one too!") then the franchise will just go out with a wimper.
That's exactly why I hope they don't bring Taylor, Cornelius, Dr. Zaius, and everyone else back. We've been there done that. Let's cover some new ground.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I love the Planet of the Apes. even the CGI efffex movies. this is one redo of an old movie that they really have still kept it interesting and charming. I love it!! i cant wait to see it, and I will enjoy it as i have every one of them.

I love in the classic Planet of the Apes the background music/sounds they use, if you ever watch the old movies, listen for it, its pretty odd, and yet interesting/strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies