Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:25 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why are people so ok with movies with sick violence but such prudes with sex?
That is a question for the ages my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:29 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
I found the movie extremely erotic! Something came up when I saw it in the theater! I'm a 37 year old male, mostly straight, went alone (never had a girlfriend).

Old 02-23-2015, 09:21 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
This movie/book is successful because it has two of women's biggest fantasies

Hooking up with a hot Rich guy
Being physically dominated in the bedroom.

They could've made two seperate series each with one of these concepts but decided to throw both together.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Big YAWN!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Aprently not a whole lot of people went to see it the second weekend of release. While it did maintain the #1 spot it fell way beyond the danger zone of box office drops of 60% and dropped 72% from about 84 million to 22 million. That is not good for a movie in theaters. While it is a success making double it's budget the opening weekend alone, it doesn't have much staying power of other blockbusters.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Aprently not a whole lot of people went to see it the second weekend of release. While it did maintain the #1 spot it fell way beyond the danger zone of box office drops of 60% and dropped 72% from about 84 million to 22 million. That is not good for a movie in theaters. While it is a success making double it's budget the opening weekend alone, it doesn't have much staying power of other blockbusters.
So what's your point? Is this supposed to prove that the movie is of poor quality or that it promotes abuse of women?

$400 million worldwide is a huge profit for the first weekend. It could never make another dollar of revenue ever again and it would still have made the IP owner a great deal of money. This is a very successful movie and sequels are all but assured.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:01 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,435 times
Definitely didn't like it. I found it abusive and degrading.
I don't understand women wanting to be treated that way.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
The promo for Dakota on Sat Night Live this Saturday is hysterical!!!

I'm going to watch!!

Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

They could've made two seperate series each with one of these concepts but decided to throw both together.
That's not it. Those aren't women's biggest fantasies. Their biggest fantasy is that they can change men. Or at least a specific man.

SPOILER ALERT - If you want to understand what's going on here and have an opinion, you need to know the whole story arc. If you don't want to know the ending don't click.

Spoiler
My understanding from reading wiki type descriptions of the books is that by the end of the books the main character resolves his issues stemming from abuse as a child and no longer needs to beat women. He can love, he can connect etc. and that him and her marry, have a child and live happily ever after with no more beating. In other words, the woman's love of the man, led to her submission to the man, and although she didn't really like being beaten, by allowing herself to be beaten saved her man. GAG! So all these women who put up with crap from men are just investing in a total Cinderalla fantasy.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Meeting a hot rich guy is always nice.
But I don't want to be treated that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies