Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 11:07 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times

Advertisements

Glenn Gould: The Russian Journey (2002)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9KnOcG51LM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
A Finished Life: FILM SYNOPSIS

I watched this last night....I really liked the guy and felt bad that he was dying AIDS..there are some laughs but some of it is hard to watch....

Also watched Bionic Pet about pets that get artificial limbs...uplifting after I watched the other one...

Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Just to throw this out there.. it's on Netflix.. I think this story had potential, but didn't live up to it..

Enquiring Minds: The Untold Story of the Man Behind the National Enquirer (2014) - IMDb

it really focuses more on Gene Pope(Who seems to have been a complete a-hole) rather than the magazine/paper/tabloid/whatever you want to call it.

I wish they had focused more on some of the 'moments' of the Enquirer.. I think a whole documentary could talk about the Anthrax attack.. Wish they had gone more in depth with the Elvis coffin photo and a few things.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:35 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I just watched Grey Gardens (1975) on Hulu for the second time.

The 1975 film was a documentary about two relatives of Jackie Kennedy Onassis (Edith "Big Edie" Bouvier Beales and her daughter Edith "Little Edie" Beals) who lived in squalor in a decaying mansion called Grey Gardens in the Hamptons. In the 28-room trash, raccoon, and cat filled mansion, they lived in one tiny fithy room, sleeping in twin beds side by side. They had a stove and refrigerator in their bedroom where they ate their meals. One scene showed them cooking and eating corn on the cob in bed, while another scene showed one of the cats going potty behind Big Edie's large portrait (of her in her prime) that was propped up against the wall.

If you're a fan of "Mommie Dearest", you might like this to see the relationship between the Big and Little Edies. Little Edie was just plain surreal and as far as what became of her mother, who had once been a wealthy and beautiful socialite, was just plain tragic.
I went to the library to get the DVD of the movie of the same name made for HBO in 2009, starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 AM

The Lookout (2011)

Quote:
Although fire lookouts continue to be critical front-line components of our forest system’s battle to detect and prevent wildfires, their roles often times go unnoticed, due largely to both the manual nature of the work involved and the quiet, extremely solitary nature of the working environment.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 PM

Sugar: The Bitter Truth (2009)

Invisible Universe Revealed (22 Apr. 2015)

Into the Cave of Wonders (2014)

[vimeo]84352928[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/84352928

Old 05-05-2015, 08:39 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
On Netflix
Filthy Cities (3 episodes)
Hindenburg: The Untold Story
They Call It Myanmar
Vanishing Bees
The Imposter

Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Finally saw the Levon Helm doc on Netflix, I'm a big fan as well as of The Band so that's my perspective going in. I was impressed in that it took a "fly on the wall" approach for the most part, the producer just prodded him to elaborate a couple of times here & there but otherwise just let him be himself at home, in the studio & at the doctors. This was shot over several years & encompassed his last years, his family life & showed his anger & frustration about The Band's business arrangements on most of the members.

So it was wasn't the typical music doc but a personal look at an artist's twilight years as he was determined to keep moving forward. I really liked it.

SuperMensch - What with that title, awful cover art & dubious subject matter - a profile of a Hollywood manager - I doubt many people would choose this but as it turned out the guy, Shep Gordon, has an interesting story & seems to be a very nice guy living the dream. Just the opposite of Robert Evans in The Kid Stays in The Picture, another Hollywood guy who did it all 2X & has no small appreciation of himself but that's the part that's entertaining for that one. Both use manipulated photos in very imaginative ways, Supermensch has the advantage of several years advances in digital processing.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
The Overnighters

Interesting documentary about a Lutheran minister in North Dakota helping unemployed men who went there to find work in the oil industry. Tough circumstances for a lot of people who couldn't/can't find work or a place to stay. And tough on the small town trying to absorb the newcomers.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
No No - A Dockumentary.. Has just come back onto Netflix.. It's a pretty good one, and if you're a baseball fan, very much worth a watch.. Basically the story of Dock Ellis, who threw a no hitter in the 70's while on an LSD trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies