Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

I like all the films mentioned by the OP except "Love actually" which was saved IMO only by Colin Firth and Emma Thompson.

Not quite "chick flicks" but should appeal to most women ( and hopefully men too !!) I know :

A very long engagement

Miss Pettigrew lives for a Day

Girl with a Pearl Earring

Easy Virtue

The Accidental Husband

Sabrina ( and pretty much every Audrey Hepburn film)

She loves me, she loves me not - Looks like a chick flick and is anything but

Anything for Her

An Education

Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources

Cyrano de Bergerac

A Single Man

Stage Beauty

Ma Vie en Rose

La Princesse de Montpensier

Moliere

Trop Belle pour Toi

Tous les Matins du Monde

Cold Mountain

The Horseman on the Roof

Paris je t'aime

Lars and the real girl

Juno

Sunshine cleaning

8 Women

Amelie Poulain

The Diving Bell & The Butterfly

Moliere

Ridicule

Female Agents

The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Illusionist

The Painted Veil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM

607 posts, read 958,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I never quite understood whether to qualify as a chick flick, "romance" elements that are thought to "appeal to women" have to be involved which is the stuff people criticize as fluff or if it is just any film dominated by women characters and women's lives (not necessarily involving romance) that can be called that.

Is "The Devil Wears Prada" a typical chick flick if it focuses on female characters in an office politics/corporate setting? How about "Mean Girls"? "Bend it like Beckham"?
Liked "Mean Girls" - loved "Beckham" (but it's hard to find decent soccer movies - Ladybugs???)

As far as surf-stop movies (those that I come across while channel surfing and watch at least a few scenes regardless of where they are in the movie, and despite seeing it numerous times - much to my wife's chagrin):

Legally Blonde (and the sequel sometimes)
Bring It On
Steel Magnolias (LOVE the graveyard scene)
Enchanted
Sleepless in Seattle (got married to the theme song)

Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I'm not afraid to admit I liked Love Actually.

I don't think liking Monty Python has anything to do with gender. Some people just don't like cerebral comedy. They just want to see someone dress up as a woman in a fat suit.

What about most of Kevin Costner's sports movies? Lots of romance in them and guys obviously like the sports connection.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM

72 posts, read 154,369 times
I actually liked Gone with the Wind. My maternal grandmother says it is her favorite movie, and wanted me and my siblings to watch it. I was at first a little nervous because of the four-hour running time and the fact that it was about a time period in America that I didn't know about. But I gave it a chance and it was actually a good movie.

In particular I liked the costumes, the special effects (great for the time), and Vivien Leigh's performance. I had known that she was British, but her portrayal of a woman from the American South was very convincing.

I found out shortly afterward that Hattie McDaniel, who played Mammy, won an Oscar for her performance - the first black person to do so. I thought she did a good performance too.

Bend it Like Beckham was good too - I liked the humour.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Even though it is a chick flick I think Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion is hilarious.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 AM

327 posts, read 644,529 times
I can't really think of many except for a few recent favorites like Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Crazy, Stupid, Love and Like Crazy.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The term "chick flick" is annoying because it implies that movies that appeal to, or are about women are somehow lesser than other movies. Action or horror movies that are directed towards men don't get that stigma.
I prefer to call them Rom Coms (romantic comedies). Unless of course it's a sappy drama which I don't often watch (there are a few exceptions like 'The Notebook').
I love ALL kinds of movies. And I am a HUGE Monty Python fan. Heck I met them back in the 1970's (had some correspondence with John Cleese at the time)!
I hate generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies