Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 03:05 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Saw it today, very impressive movie. Some of the best scenery and atmosphere I've seen in a movie.

The bear sequence was a bit wonky, could tell it wasn't real.

And of course Hollywood took liberties with the actual story, but good movie.

The Revenant Movie vs True Story of Hugh Glass, John Fitzgerald

The true story behind “The Revenant” is even crazier than the movie - Quartz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:34 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
This film could have Oscar potential.
Welp

i said that back in August lol

Old 01-25-2016, 07:54 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
random question, but

Spoiler
Did Tom Hardy's character ever explain how he survived being scalped??
Would you explain how you used the "spoiler" option? Or can you post a link from City-Data that gives that info? I looked through the City-Data website last week, and couldn't find instructions.

That being said, I wish more people would use the "spoiler" option when discussing movies and TV shows here in the City-Data forums. Just typing "Spoiler Alert" at the top of the post doesn't cut it.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Lots of new people to the City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies forum / board / slice of heaven. At least with regulars, you have an idea of where they're coming from as they regularly post the movies they watch and how they like them / how they rate them. With a film like Inarritu's The Revenant, everybody and their cousin all of a sudden is a movie critic and has to chime in, and you have no frame of reference as to where they are coming from.

At least with established movie critics, you have a body of work to follow, or don't follow, and can give them the benefit of the doubt (or not) and go with their star ratings if you are on the fence whether to see a film or not.
Maybe you could start a new forum entitled, "Internet Movie Critics - Regulars Only". City-Data is open to everybody...no way you're gonna keep people from chiming in with their opinion.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
No offense folks, but I don't understand how some folks are offended by graphic violence. it happens in the world every day. People are attacked by bears, people kill other people, kids are murdered...

Nothing in The Revenant was far fetched or "overboard." If that kind of stuff bothers you, you might want to stay away from rated R movies. Especially revenge movies that are rated R. lol.
Personally, I would rather not see graphic violence. Years ago, I remember my mother-in-law saying that she didn't think she would go to see Schindler's List because of the violence, and that she just didn't have the tolerance for violence any more. I find as I get older, that I just don't want to see violence and gore. Heck, I have to look away when watching a program on PBS where the lions are eating a zebra.

Yes, there is violence in our every day world, but as an individual, I generally don't have to deal with it (thank heavens!). I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to see The Revenant because of the violence, but a friend talked me into it. I'm glad I saw it...FANTASTIC movie. But I will admit that during certain scenes (e.g. the bear attack), I looked away, despite still being able to hear what was going on.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:56 AM

I get what you're saying, and I respect it.

I knew from hearing about the book that this was going to be an extremely violent movie....so I knew what to expect heading in.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Would you explain how you used the "spoiler" option? Or can you post a link from City-Data that gives that info? I looked through the City-Data website last week, and couldn't find instructions.

That being said, I wish more people would use the "spoiler" option when discussing movies and TV shows here in the City-Data forums. Just typing "Spoiler Alert" at the top of the post doesn't cut it.
When you're typing your comment, select the "show/hide" icon under the "undo/redo" icons in the text options bar.

Spoiler
Then type your spoiler comments between the coding that pops up

Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
When you're typing your comment, select the "show/hide" icon under the "undo/redo" icons in the text options bar.

Spoiler
Then type your spoiler comments between the coding that pops up
Thank you very much!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
So the bear was a man dressed up in a blue outfit and they later put him into the movie and "colored" him. This was on GMA today. Interesting. This guy should get an award for his performance.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:36 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
I thought it was pretty obvious it wasn't a real bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies