Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Respectable showing in my top 20. They (Disney) seemed to give Lowery a lot of leeway to make this movie his, which is glaringly noticeable with the almost total lack of subliminal and blatant references to the issue(s) of the day.
The movie is definitely NOT just a rehash of the original. There is an orphan named Pete who is raised by a dragon called Elliott. There the similarities end.

The movie is beautifully filmed. Shot in New Zealand, this is another movie that really showcases the stunning natural beauty of that country. If The Lord of the Rings movies and this movie don't make you want to at least visit New Zealand some day, there must be a black vacuum or ghost of Scrooge somewhere in your heart.

The actors are great. The kids actors too, which is often a failing in these movies. Robert Redford is the stand-out. But hey, it's Robert Redford. What do you expect?

The movie has moments of real peril but not real scares. If your kids can sit through Disney's Treasure Island, they can sit through this with no problem. The movie never devolves into saccharine sweetness. As an adult, I often roll my eyes in these types of movies. I did not in this one.

That said, the movie is still lacking something. The movie could have spent more time exploring the adult characters, and Pete's reconnection with the human world seemed a bit rushed.

So in the end I enjoyed everything onscreen. It's a good movie. But to be a great movie, I think it needed another twenty minutes of story to fill in some gaps and deepen the characters.

A good movie? Yes. Destined to be a classic? Probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The movie is beautifully filmed
That's all on Lowery. He was the editor to Upstream Color (2013), I enjoyed Listen Up Philip (2014), and will see Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013) (which gets compared to Terrence Malick, so it's no coincidence with respect to his influence in this Pete's Dragon) after I pick it up from the library tomorrow. The muppetness of the dragon I chalk up to being it's MacGuffin - the reason you're watching it anyway. There are many moments where you can forget you're at a Disney film, which I look at being a good thing. Many will take their kids to this and come away with a liked it but maybe I didn't like it feeling - and that's fine, and that's what I love about it.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
On my recommendation, my wife went to see this with her friends and loved it. Last week she said they went to see Suicide Squad and said it sucked. Told her if she had asked me I would have told her to stay away - which led to her asking what should I see then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies