Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
About the only thing I can do while watching a movie on TV, without getting too distracted, is ironing. I have a lot of linen and cotton clothing items and so they do require ironing, and for some reason I can stand there and iron in front of the TV and not feel like I'm missing anything. In fact, it's sort of a pleasant way to get the ironing done.

Anything else - forget it. Especially fiddling with my phone or tablet. If I get a phone call, I put the movie on pause. If I get a text, I ignore it till the movie's over.
Haha. Thank god for being able to watch TV while ironing!

DH is worse than I am about using a device while watching a movie. He's always playing games on his tablet. And then we'll be watching a movie and he just has to check IMDB for details, several times during the flick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:05 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
I think if a movie is good enough, it will capture your attention so fully that you don't even think of doing anything else. For the same reason why some people fall asleep in a movie theater despite the loud noises. It's the movie, not you

Old 06-20-2016, 04:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I agree.

I think you can "enjoy" a movie, yes. But you can't fully comprehend a movie, and not experience it as the filmmakers hoped you would.

And, you know, it's not just the emotions - it's having a good enough situation where you can see the subtleties on the screen, catch all the nuances of the sound.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:19 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
I multi-task during pause dvd breaks. .....

Old 06-20-2016, 05:37 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Besides, I prefer freeform to scripts

It depends on how you feel about the movie you're watching, I suppose. If you're interested in the movie, you'll pay attention. I tend to put up the subtitles, sometimes the gradations on the sound get away from my PC. I haven't seen that many movies that completely lost my attention, to the point that I stopped the movie altogether & abandoned the effort.

If you watch enough so-so movies that you don't feel much interest in - then that's more commentary on how you choose movies than on whether or not you can successfully multitask & yet give any substantial attention to the movie. Given the carnage on the streets from using cellphones & driving @ the same time, I think that's conclusive evidence that most people can't do both with any reasonable proficiency @ the same time.

The more reasonable among us park & continue the conversation from rest. The unreasonable muddle along & try to do both, & likely contribute to the injury/death stats on the road. I don't think it's possible to do justice to both activities @ once - one (or possibly both) is going to be shortchanged. From a safety POV, I'll always ignore the phone over trying to converse & drive simultaneously.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Making a puzzle.
Polishing something (this does not come up often).
Dusting.
Practicing chord progressions on a guitar.
These things I can do and pay full attention to the movie.

CDF, facebook, etc...no. I mean, I've done it and I've gotten the gist of everything, but it's not *really* paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies