Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Saw it yesterday--some of the best parts are when the movie breaks the 4th wall and addresses the audience directly--
Thought Carrell was very good--personally I didn't care for the personal tragedy aspect in his life--thought it seemed a false note but it was supposed to show the empathetic side to his personality which make him feel for the average person/investor...and why he wanted to punish the banks/mortgage companies--

Christian Bale in very different role for him--kind of surprised he took it--he was very good but he won't get the attention...and two points--that was real guy and he is investing in water...

Ryan Gosling's hair makes him look borderline fake and definitely nefarious but he is really one of the more honest players working IN the mortgage industry--
Most of the main characters are those trying to profit from the anticipated crash--
Except Brad Pitt--he was quirky--and the two guys he was working with were small change in the larger scope but he educated them about why their making money was not a painless process...

Melissa Leo is really funny and if she is based on a real person (haven't read book so don't know) then add another to the list of criminals who got away with running the largest fraud on the American people and the world in general in known history...

Just made me sick to revisit that time and feel the same anger---especially knowing that the same type of manipulation can happen again because the powers that are running Congress (and I don't mean elected officials) don't want to see serious legislation to rein in abusive practices...

It was interesting movie because I thought it was able to make the book I couldn't finish more approachable---

Two other good movies about the financial crisis--
One with Michael Shannon and Andrew Garfield -- 99 Homes--more front line effect of the housing crash seen from a homeowner and a real estate investor using the crash to enrich himself...

And "Margin Call" built around a big investment bank--like Goldman--when an analyst discovers bank is at heightened level of risk because of their mortgage investments...
Story is about how they sell off their investments to unsuspecting investment houses to limit their own damage...Jeremy Irons is very cold and reptilian--but excellent--as the CEO
Spacey in a nicer version of Frank Underwood...

And that aspect of CYA is mentioned in "The Big Short" when the manipulation of the ratings comes out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Definitely a black comedy. There's some great acting in it.

Review: 'The Big Short' somehow makes the '08 housing collapse entertaining - LA Times

Old 03-02-2016, 01:58 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,901,566 times
A black comedy? How do you get to that point?

Anyway, I've seen a lot of different reviews on it. Some people hate it and think they spend too much time explaining things, and some people love it but wish they took more time to explain things.

I am able to download it, so I watched it a couple of times and each time I understood more. Even if you don't understand everything in the movie, I think the acting goes above and beyond and the movie should be watched for that alone. But there's still a powerful message there and I think most people would end up angry at the end.

I love this movie and I finally put myself on the hold list at the library to read the book. I'm #27. Ah, well.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
A black comedy? How do you get to that point?
Black comedy = dark humor.

Jeremy Strong calls the 'The Big Short' a black comedy about financial crisis

‘The Big Short’ Writer Finds Dark Humor in Financial Meltdown

Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,901,566 times
I hear black comedy and I'm thinking Coming to America. How about gallows humor?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,685 times
Just watched this movie and I really liked it. Well done with good explanations about what happened in the mid 2000's. I didn't realize Brad Pitt was in the movie until I saw the credits. I thought the Ben guy looked familiar, but just thought he looked like someone I knew .

Old 03-18-2016, 09:24 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,817 times
I was totally lost- and sickened at the same time- no wonder no one was prosecuted how would they ever get a jury to understand what happened?

Old 03-19-2016, 02:02 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,624 times
I wasn't a fan of the 4th-wall breaking and the overall editing style. The movie still succeeded in making my blood boil. They did a good job of casting actors with punchable faces, playing the roles of people who contributed to the collapse.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
How about gallows humor?
But that term refers to humor that remains despite a stressful situation where death is almost inevitable, not really applicable to this film.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Great film, and one that is definitely worth watching more than once. This is all based on a true story, the acting is fantastic, I like the way the film is shot with pauses in the action so that main points of the film can be addressed directly, sometimes by a cameo appearance of someone either very educated on the subject, or someone completely disconnected from it (Selena Gomez)

So much information is presented on sub prime loans, mortgage backed securities and AAA bonds that I will watch this again to let this information sink in. Really enjoyed this film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies