Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:32 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times

Advertisements

Noticed that as well. Some believe that a Halliburton part was at blame. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Saw it last week. Am I mistaken, or was the word "Halliburton" neither seen nor spoken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 08:37 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Noticed that as well. Some believe that a Halliburton part was at blame. Interesting...
They wound up settling lawsuits for over a billion dollars, so yeah. I read somewhere a couple weeks ago that in making the movie the producers (including Wahlburg) had to negotiate through an army of lawyers.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Shlumberger, Transocean, and Halliburton were all heavily involved. Somehow....BP....a foreign company, took almost 100% of the blame. I doubt that was fair.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Shlumberger, Transocean, and Halliburton were all heavily involved. Somehow....BP....a foreign company, took almost 100% of the blame. I doubt that was fair.
You don't get to be a "foreign" company any more when you buy/merge with an American company like Amoco. At least not in the sense to earn any pity as if they were ran over rough shod by our government.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Pretty sure that BP stock is still BP stock. Has not recovered..

Old 10-16-2016, 06:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not so theoretical
Just companies trying to CYA

My husband worked in o/g exploration/production for more than 35 years...but was in land/lease...went on few off shore rigs closer to coast but never worked one one...

He said the idea that TransOcean would sacrifice safety levels to,kowtow to the BP exploration engineers was not right... He said the guys owning/running the rigs rule...
Of course TO might not want to say it was their company's fault they didn't hire more people to do repair efforts to keep systems working properly...

But the fail happened because of the cement job's lack of integrity
Schlumberger screwed big time and never should have left that rig w/o running that pressure test...I am sure it was part of the contract for the job because it is just part of making a well.
I was surprised that when Kurt Russell was off the rig that apparently there was no one doing his job...not a comparable senior level rig boss...
I don't think that is how it works...those guys are 3 wks on and 3 off and someone takes their job when they are gone...so someone should have been doing Markey Marks job too vs just letting everything go to hell when he was off...
My husband has worked in the oil and gas industry, including on the Gulf rigs, for nearly 40 years and is now an oil and gas consultant. He is familiar with companies associated with that particular rig and that disaster though he thankfully never worked on that rig.

What he said he heard was that Schlumberger pulled their guys OFF the rig because BP decided not to run the necessary tests so Schlumberger told their guys to leave - that's what the scuttlebutt was around here anyway.

We saw the movie yesterday and it was surprisingly emotional for both of us - really shook us both up. Though it's been 8 years or so since he worked on an offshore rig, the movie brought back a lot of memories.

Long before this particular issue, my husband had already told me that there were a few companies he would NEVER work for again, and one of them was BP.

I thought the movie was very well done and that the casting was perfect. We both really liked the music too.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-16-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
What do you know about this particular event and about who was in charge of which elements and safety steps?

Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure that BP stock is still BP stock. Has not recovered..
BP's stock is doing about the same as other major oil and gas companies lately:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bp+s...hrome&ie=UTF-8

They've all hit a slump from their heydays but they're also coming back.

SLB Stock Quote - Schlumberger Ltd. Stock Price Today (SLB:NYSE) - MarketWatch

HAL Stock Quote - Halliburton Co. Stock Price Today (HAL:NYSE) - MarketWatch

Old 10-16-2016, 07:12 PM

Interesting article about Halliburton's involvement in the DH disaster:

Halliburton to Settle Deepwater Horizon Claims for $1.1 Billion - WSJ

Old 10-17-2016, 01:05 PM

Just what I picked up from reading and watching a fair amount of news. Is that OK? Am I in trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What do you know about this particular event and about who was in charge of which elements and safety steps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies