Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Supposedly he admires the director
Unfortunately this movie is not indicative of director's style or ability

I saw it...my husband slept through a god bit
Damon was ok
It is not unrealistic to think white adventurers found the wall...
There is legend that a Roman legion did as well

The script was just the weakest part...
I think it would be more interesting if westerners know some background.
For example, the monster taotie (饕餮) was described in a Chinese book (山海经) written 2000+ years ago. The book says they have men's face but goats' body, and their eyes are under their arms. They also represent greedy people in Chinese culture.

When the general died, they sang a song, which is from a very famous poem written by Wang Changling, of Tang dynasty. The last sentence reads "Never let barbarians' horses come across the Yin Shan Mountain."

However with such a movie, it is impossible for people to understand all the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think it would be more interesting if westerners know some background.
For example, the monster taotie (饕餮) was described in a Chinese book (山海经) written 2000+ years ago. The book says they have men's face but goats' body, and their eyes are under their arms. They also represent greedy people in Chinese culture.

When the general died, they sang a song, which is from a very famous poem written by Wang Changling, of Tang dynasty. The last sentence reads "Never let barbarians' horses come across the Yin Shan Mountain."

However with such a movie, it is impossible for people to understand all the details.
Actually all the points you illuminate could have been incorporated into the script by using techniques like
voice over dialogue or conversation between characters or in other ways...
Remember the opening lines from the first "Star Wars"???

It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the Death Star, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Persued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the Galaxy...

Gave us most of what we needed to know except the relationship that was the big reveal...

Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Actually all the points you illuminate could have been incorporated into the script by using techniques like voice over dialogue or conversation between characters
Dialogue? Okay. Voiceover narrative? No. Narration in movies is lazy writing. Film is all about: Show. Don't Tell. Narration is the pinnacle of Telling.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:40 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
I was looking forward to watching this movie, until I saw the marketing poster with Matt Damon's life size white face in the foreground, prominently overshadowing the itty-biddy Chinese warriors...Then said nope.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I was looking forward to watching this movie, until I saw the marketing poster with Matt Damon's life size white face in the foreground, prominently overshadowing the itty-biddy Chinese warriors...Then said nope.
It's just their marketing strategy. Very few Americans know the Chinese actors. Honestly many Hollywood movies have used unnecessary Chinese actors too, just for China market, such as Transformers, X-men, Starcraft.

This movie tries to put people together, actually. Ex The Chinese learn whaling techniques from the Spanish to capture monsters. Europeans want to buy/steal black powder to make weapons.
But it's done in a mechanical way and feels forced.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
It's just their marketing strategy.
Then they should change their strategy.

The fact is when a high quality Asian film is marketed properly in the West, you don't need to force Matt Damon in the movie. Looks at movies like CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON or HERO. Both did quite well in the US. Even Jackie Chan's Hong Kong movies (which have a limited audience) still do quite well.

Disney is supposedly working on a live action version of MULAN. If they cast Rihanna or Lady Gaga as Mulan, it will time to burn down the House of Mouse.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:54 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
It's just their marketing strategy. Very few Americans know the Chinese actors. Honestly many Hollywood movies have used unnecessary Chinese actors too, just for China market, such as Transformers, X-men, Starcraft.

This movie tries to put people together, actually. Ex The Chinese learn whaling techniques from the Spanish to capture monsters. Europeans want to buy/steal black powder to make weapons.
But it's done in a mechanical way and feels forced.
That is why I think the Chinese handled their own marketing. Once upon a time we pushed that John Wayne was starring in these international productions to get the Americans to also watch. Doing that today is the touch of death because it is politically incorrect to suggest that China was imperil until Matt Damon showed up with one more bow. Even if that one more soldier came with Robin Hood, Green Arrow,or Hawkeye level skills being the white man in his case.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Then they should change their strategy.

The fact is when a high quality Asian film is marketed properly in the West, you don't need to force Matt Damon in the movie. Looks at movies like CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON or HERO. Both did quite well in the US. Even Jackie Chan's Hong Kong movies (which have a limited audience) still do quite well.

Disney is supposedly working on a live action version of MULAN. If they cast Rihanna or Lady Gaga as Mulan, it will time to burn down the House of Mouse.
The previous movies you mentioned have no European roles at all. But Great Wall has European traders in it. Are they supposed to let Chinese play European traders? Yes, the script has such roles in order to have American actors, but as long as it's done in a natural way, I don't think it's a big deal.

BTW ancient China did have some non-Chinese in historical events. For example a rebell general in 755 AD was a Sogdian, related to Persians. The Tocharians in today's Northwest China were Caucasians with light hair and blue eyes. Ancient Chinese would not be surprised to see Europeans at all. In fact I would like to see more stories of these people too.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:32 AM

"Great Wall" Heads For A $75 Million Loss - Dark Horizons

Old 04-03-2017, 03:48 PM

866 posts, read 629,931 times
Default A fun film

For me, it was a fun film and I like Mat's work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies