Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:03 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Jolie was perfectly cast as Lara Craft. Her body and looks was perfect as far as I am concern. I remember saying that if they ever did a Lara Craft movie, Jolie should be Lara. Now, whether those movies were good or not, that's another debate.
Jolie did not look a thing like the 90's computer game Laura. Like a lot of people, in the 90's I assumed that Sandra Bullock would take up the movie role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Is it just me, or are there sound clips of Laura lifted directly from the earlier TR computer games?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
I saw the trailer today
Lot of info/clips packed into the trailer

Anyone familiar with the Jane Whitefield series by Thomas Perry??
the woman who is a "guide" taking threatened people out of their situations into safer identities is part Seneca, part Anglo, very physically skilled--sort of Lara Croft
Alicia Vikander would make a good Jane--

Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,238,749 times
Default Tomb Raider (2018)

Anyone see it? I loved it! I'm such a nerd for the rebooted games! It strayed a bit far from the game but was still good, Alicia vikander did an outstanding job and really got ripped for the role! Only silly thing was bringing the father into the movie, as a fan of the games it was kind of ridiculous lol.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Old 03-24-2018, 11:27 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
I saw it. It was a choice between watching that or the clusterf* of Wrinkle, and it won out.

Overall, it was decent Hollywood "product." Production values were decent, and plot holes were covered with plenty of action to make them less apparent. The "creeping crud" genre of film deaths has been overworked though. Why can't directors get more creative and have a disease that turns the person into a 1952 Studebaker or a statue of Elvis or a pillar of cheesecake?

What makes a film "product" rather than a legitimate work of cinematic art? Heavy reliance on reshoots of scenes that have worked in other films is a big clue.

Island of Kong clouds and surf: check
Mysterious Island beach scene: check
Treasure Island search: check
Stereotyped baddie: check
Flawed sidekick: check
Lots of Hollywood running with hands vertically aligned: check
Eewie Gooie yuck scenes: check
Big black guns: check
Plucky band of survivors: check
Indiana Jones bridge scene: check
Indiana Jones spike scene: check
Eco-reference to life force or color: check
Major crash of some mode of transport: check
Storm scenes: check

"Product" can be entertaining and enjoyable, but when a kid pulls out his box of crayolas and replicates a Monet for for art class the umpteenth time, you just go "That is very nice" and move on.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:48 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,890,198 times
I liked it.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,842,628 times
It was okay, but I liked the first one better for not taking such obvious nonsense too seriously.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:51 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,640,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I saw it. It was a choice between watching that or the clusterf* of Wrinkle, and it won out.

Overall, it was decent Hollywood "product." Production values were decent, and plot holes were covered with plenty of action to make them less apparent. The "creeping crud" genre of film deaths has been overworked though. Why can't directors get more creative and have a disease that turns the person into a 1952 Studebaker or a statue of Elvis or a pillar of cheesecake?

What makes a film "product" rather than a legitimate work of cinematic art? Heavy reliance on reshoots of scenes that have worked in other films is a big clue.

Island of Kong clouds and surf: check
Mysterious Island beach scene: check
Treasure Island search: check
Stereotyped baddie: check
Flawed sidekick: check
Lots of Hollywood running with hands vertically aligned: check
Eewie Gooie yuck scenes: check
Big black guns: check
Plucky band of survivors: check
Indiana Jones bridge scene: check
Indiana Jones spike scene: check
Eco-reference to life force or color: check
Major crash of some mode of transport: check
Storm scenes: check

"Product" can be entertaining and enjoyable, but when a kid pulls out his box of crayolas and replicates a Monet for for art class the umpteenth time, you just go "That is very nice" and move on.
LOL.

You forgot another one...' a young person who refuses to touch or acknowledge their massive inheritance, just sitting there waiting for them to come around, and instead tries to go out and make their own way'

Old 03-26-2018, 07:57 AM

29,568 posts, read 14,720,164 times
I just realized that Alicia Vikander is the actress that was in the Guy Ritchie remake of the man from Uncle. She was great in that movie, cute , sassy and likable. I will definitely have to check this movie out.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:23 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I just realized that Alicia Vikander is the actress that was in the Guy Ritchie remake of the man from Uncle. She was great in that movie, cute , sassy and likable. I will definitely have to check this movie out.
EX MACHINA is a much better movie than the MAN FROM UNCLE remake. Not that it was bad. It was a fun popcorn flick. But EX MACHINA is actually a beautifully crafted movie that will make you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies