Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:34 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

The Rocky Horror Picture Show was like eating potato chips. If you liked it, you didn't just see it once. So, how many times have you seen it in the theater? How well do you know the lines?

I think my count was well over 50 (TLA Theater, Philadelphia) and I think I remember all the audience lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:03 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Never in theater. Have watched it numerous times when it pops up on TV and we even own the DVD. However, despite all those viewings my wife and I have never actually seen the end. Something always comes up for that particular movie and interrupts it. Kinda spooky.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
LOL! Too many times to count. I generally managed the midnight shows, so although I've only sat through it a few times, I've checked on it and worked in conjunction with a few of the "crews" to keep things safe and only marginally insane.

If you want to see an inspiring factor for it, watch Woody Allen's "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (but were afraid to ask)" The basic plot is outlined in one of the skits.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Never in theater. Have watched it numerous times when it pops up on TV and we even own the DVD. However, despite all those viewings my wife and I have never actually seen the end. Something always comes up for that particular movie and interrupts it. Kinda spooky.
Unfortunately you are missing the best part. As a movie on disc or on TV, it is just barely "watchable." I really like the music, but we can all admit it would never win any prizes for dialog or storytelling. BUT IN THE THEATER with a lot of fans who "came prepared" (I always wore my Phillies batting helmet, a barely thawed hot dog or even a handful of rice can easily be felt on a bald head) it is an absolute hoot! If you have a chance to see it at a theater where they don't try too hard to control the audience, you should go.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-15-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! Too many times to count. I generally managed the midnight shows, so although I've only sat through it a few times, I've checked on it and worked in conjunction with a few of the "crews" to keep things safe and only marginally insane.

If you want to see an inspiring factor for it, watch Woody Allen's "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (but were afraid to ask)" The basic plot is outlined in one of the skits.
I can understand preventing the audience from lighting their bics, yes that's a fire hazard, but I generally stopped going because the theater management got too nuts at the midnight showing, they wanted people to remain in their seats, and to stop throwing things, hell, they even started confiscating water guns. Of course that made the crowds dwindle (talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face).

It's been decades now since I have gone, I don't even know where I could find a "marginally insane" theater experience.

BTW, "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (but were afraid to ask)", 1972 is also one of my favorites.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:41 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Only once in a theater. And they didn't let anyone up in front of the screen.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
If it was a proper crew, the worst problem was having to blow down all the rice. The Bic thing was actually fire marshal request, even though movie theatre auditoriums are pretty much fireproof. Screen damage is one thing theatres are afraid of. The big screens sometimes can be patched, but replacement is expensive and takes a professional coming in to hang them properly. I never had a problem. I just let the crew understand the value of it and asked them to be protective of it and it was fine. I had crew coming to me to toss people out who they felt were disruptive.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Unfortunately you are missing the best part. As a movie on disc or on TV, it is just barely "watchable." I really like the music, but we can all admit it would never win any prizes for dialog or storytelling. BUT IN THE THEATER with a lot of fans who "came prepared" (I always wore my Phillies batting helmet, a barely thawed hot dog or even a handful of rice can easily be felt on a bald head) it is an absolute hoot! If you have a chance to see it at a theater where they don't try too hard to control the audience, you should go.
Yeah living in Portland area now and there is a theater downtown that seems to run it year round. Will have to check it out sometime.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
I have seen this movie far too many times to count. Back in HS I was part of the shadow cast at our local independant movie theater. I played Magenta. I love this movie! I have such fond memories of it and I met some incredible people back in the day that shared my love of this film.

Years ago I won tickets to see the play at the DPAC. it was so much fun to see a stage version of it. I realize that this show is not for everyone, but damn what a great time! I think everyone should experience either a midnight showing or the stage version at least once.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I saw it once at a friend's suggestion and that was enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies