Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:05 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times

Advertisements

What people complain about special effects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 09:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What people complain about special effects?

Like with all the superhero movies, etc. They use blue screen effects these days in just about every type of movie even in something simple. I don't believe that they had blue screen and GCI in the 90's if they did they didn't use it as much as today.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Yeah they had blue screen back then, but I don't recall them using it much in The Professional, that I could tell.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:17 AM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It's one of those movies that a lot of people like, and it's voted as the 27th best movie of all time, by the imdb. But I don't understand why.
Do not take the IMDB ratings seriously. Fanboys, little kids, studio plants and troll farms have been gaming the voting system since the late 2000s. It was these people who got together and collectively down voted The Godfather to push The Dark Knight and later The Shawshank Redemption up the ranks.

To this day, you can see suspicious voting behavior on the site. For example, if you review certain movies that are decades old and pretty obscure, you'll see a rain of down votes almost immediately. But if you review more popular films (where you'd expect to see a larger number of up/down votes), the totals are normal. I don't know what's going on, but there are definitely people "monitoring" certain titles to make sure that whenever a review hits, they down or up vote immediately in droves.

As for my opinions about The Professional, there's nothing special about it. I didn't see the movie Gloria (I keep missing it when it comes on), but from what I heard, it's basically the exact same movie except the sexes are switched.

Also, I didn't like the coyness of the movie dancing around taboo subjects that it itself made a major point of shoving in the audience's face the entire time. Know what I mean? If you're going to have the cajones to bait audiences with a taboo theme, then go all the way with it--for example, Kickass. In that movie, we see a little girl getting trained to kill people and later doing it. There's no coyness about it. Keep in mind that I don't advocate movies showing kids killing. What I'm talking about is Kickass' gutsiness. It committed to a taboo subject and went all the way with it.

With The Professional, it was the opposite. It floated these taboo subjects about a little girl assassin who also happens to be too sexualized for her age and did nothing with it. It's not that I wanted to see her kill or see her have sex or be in sexual situations; I didn't appreciate the filmmaker being coy about these taboo subjects and at the same having this smug, self-satisfied attitude that it was being daring and edgy. (Like in that scene when Matilda tells the concierge, "We're lovers.") No, Taxi Driver was edgy. Kickass was edgy. Lolita was edgy. Hinting at taboo subjects but not following through on them is not being edgy. It's being dishonest.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:30 AM

Oh okay, don't know about Gloria, might have to check it out.

I kind of see what you mean about going all the way with the themes. But I actually think Kick-Ass is worse than The Professional.

Kick-Ass went further with the themes for sure, but I felt the movie screwed up in all these other areas, and I didn't care about the characters. In The Professional, I still cared somewhat. It's true That the Professional was perhaps not as edgy and safer, but I felt Kick-Ass had less sense about it. Haven't seen Lolita but know of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies