Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 02:02 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

Ugh, I went to see this today assuming it might be at least a little funny. I happy to be a Melissa McCarthy fan from way back in Gilmore Girls times... but..

This was horrible. Spoilers ahead.

First it wasn't funny at all. The entire audience didn't laugh at anything other than one scene.

Second, it had been compared to "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield but it wasn't even close.

Rodney was a man of the world who had made it who went back to school for kicks and to help his son, Deanna was a SAHM who was going back because she wanted to complete her degree. And not in something useful like business but in archeology. Ok?

Rodney had money to spare and was popular in part because of that. Deanna had no money and in fact gets "cut off" by her husband at one point. (kind of laughable that could happen but)

Rodney goes for the hot professor. Deanna beds a college boy at her first party. And the entire way that was done was degrading. At one point it is discovered that the college boy is the son of the woman marrying her ex and instead of saying nothing in front of the boy... she revels in how much that is hurting his mom when he is standing there.. must feel good.

Rodney is positive and encouraging to his son.. Deanna is running around telling everyone who will listen that she is getting a divorce and gets stoned and destroys her ex's wedding reception that her daughter is at.

At the end they were going to have a party or something to get Deanna her college money that Christina Aguilera would show up at. I just left the movie. I rarely do that. I just didn't care at all and certainly didn't care about Christina Aguilera.. I mean isn't she like 40 now? Is that supposed to be something I would stay for or that any college kid would be interested in?

Melissa I think your 15 minutes is officially up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 09:47 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Yep, you're not the only one who thinks so:
Movie review: Can Melissa McCarthy make a good movie anymore? 'Life of the Party' argues no | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Old 05-29-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Perhaps she needs to stop working with her husband. I found "spy" delightful.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Perhaps she needs to stop working with her husband. I found "spy" delightful.
From what I have seen that partnership is really not good for McCarthy
I am interested to see what the one coming up turns out to be---the one where she plays a "normal" person, the writer Lee Israel who apparently went into forging signatures/letters of famous people to make a living...

I thought she was good in "St. Vincent" with Bill Murray
She can act--
Her comedy is just not funny to me--and so much depends on using sex as a fulcrum for the joke
That is just boring really and demeaning (IMO) to her

We saw "Life of the Party" just because we wanted a movie and it was something the 3 of us could agree on
The idea that the young guy who had the crush on her was the person she was involved with vs the professor she obviously had something in common with just proved this movie moved in another reality...
Bad choice---
She didn't want to make a "good" movie---
But I don't know who she thinks her audience really is...
She has a finite window to make these movies and her "sell-by" date is coming due...

Old 05-31-2018, 06:35 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TB36Us-Cas

Old 06-03-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The idea that the young guy who had the crush on her was the person she was involved with vs the professor she obviously had something in common with just proved this movie moved in another reality...
Bad choice---.
Yes that was really odd. The professor seemed like he was going to be the love interest but then it went another way. A poor way.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:39 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Melissa I think your 15 minutes is officially up.

I don't think the "15 minutes of fame" concept still applies to someone with more than 50 acting credits to her name.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Crap. I just agreed to go out and see this on our 'girls' night this week.

I loved that movie with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock (can't remember the name) and I also loved her in Bridesmaids but she's made a lot of duds as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies