Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:39 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

Disney: A Wrinkle In Time lost $100 million for company

I didn't see this and don't plan to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 05:03 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Disney: A Wrinkle In Time lost $100 million for company

I didn't see this and don't plan to.
Good think Disney has Star Wars and Marvel Studios (with Infinity War and Black Panther) making over a $Billion to fall back on.

I saw the previews and it just didn't look very interesting. Seeing Oprah Winfrey in it also somehow made me take the film less serious. I do plan on reading the book though.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:23 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I know it is literary semi-heresy to say so, but I never thought the book was all that great.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:28 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know it is literary semi-heresy to say so, but I never thought the book was all that great.
I first read the book in seventh grade and enjoyed it. I re-read it as an adult and thought that it was not as good as it was when I was a child.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I read the book in junior high in 67 and thought it was pretty good.

The 2003 movie had production value issues, but it at least stuck to the story.

I wrote a long, scathing criticism of the 2018 movie. It really annoys me when people screw up someone else's successful story to convey their own ideological message.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:59 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
It's too bad that it didn't do well. It had a decent opening weekend.

I loved the book as a kid, and have re-read it as an adult. I've been impressed with Ava DuVernay's other films, and I like both Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon. But the ads did make the film look as if it embellished the story unnecessarily.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:18 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's too bad that it didn't do well. It had a decent opening weekend.
That's how you know a film actually does suck, separate from all other issues.

Quote:
I loved the book as a kid, and have re-read it as an adult. I've been impressed with Ava DuVernay's other films, and I like both Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon. But the ads did make the film look as if it embellished the story unnecessarily.
A group of people basically had their own message to trumpet and took someone else's story to twist to their own message.

If you look back at Ava DuVernay's filmology, this movie was really beyond her capacity at the time. She had been dealing with experienced adult actors portraying historic or real-world situations. From what I've heard from other directors, both working with children and working on CGI sets are wholly different directorial experiences. I think Ava failed with both. That doesn't mean she didn't learn and will do better next time, and she seems to be smart enough to have learned a lot, but she didn't do well this time.

And that was before even stuffing a story with a bunch of ideology that the original story didn't support. In fact, they had to remove the thematic bones of the original story and transplant their own ideological themes. People who were very familiar with the original story were faced with familiar characters saying very different things.

And just as unfortunately, there is this: True ideologues can't tell a good story. This "A Wrinkle in Time" suffers from the same problem that makes most Christian movies cheesy sludgefests.

The only people who will be happy with ideological treatises pawned off as stories are people who have drunk the Kool-Aid. I say this as a Christian...but I'll also call a spade a spade. The vast majority of Christian movies suck because the ideology suppresses the story. This movie is exactly the same for the same reason.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It really annoys me when people screw up someone else's successful story to convey their own ideological message.
Me too.

You can always tell when Oprah is involved now that people become hyper aware that they are trying to make a Very Important Movie, which usually ends up becoming self-indulgent and unwatchable.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:53 AM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I realize the OP is obsessed with this movie:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...nity-lost.html

But sorry to burst the OP's bubble, the box office failure of this movie has less to do with ideological messages and changing of religious overtones, and more to do with people just plain tired of these types of boring and CGI overloaded snoozefests that offer nothing new. Nothing I saw in the trailer made me want to see this movie. At all. And bad/lukewarm word of mouth is enough to torpedo any movie.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:04 AM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I realize the OP is obsessed with this movie:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...nity-lost.html

But sorry to burst the OP's bubble, the box office failure of this movie has less to do with ideological messages and changing of religious overtones, and more to do with people just plain tired of these types of boring and CGI overloaded snoozefests that offer nothing new. Nothing I saw in the trailer made me want to see this movie. At all. And bad/lukewarm word of mouth is enough to torpedo any movie.
I agree. With the cost of a movie outing vs watching it at home, if the movie's not good I'm not going to go out to see it, especially now that so many streaming options are available. I will just wait and pay $2-3 when it's available to stream (or nothing).

I read the book when I was a kid and liked it, but I wonder if I would still like it now, and have my doubts about how well it would go over with today's young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies