Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 07:17 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

Just saw this remake of the original 1962 movie. I wanted to like it, but did not.

Likes - the 1950's New York sets were really great - they found a lot of New York streets to film this and it had a realistic sense of the city.

Dislikes - most of the major actors. Maria played by Rachel Zegler bugged me big time. She did not look like the sweeet, innocent, virginal Maria that we saw in 1962 original. As i watched the movie, i realize, oh no she looked like that girl who played the new version of Snow White, the one who was making fun of the family values and romance etc. Totally a "woke" actress.

The guy who plays Tony had one facial expression all thru the movie. He did not emote any emotions at all, lousy actor, Ansel Elgort.

the two gangs - the Sharks and Jets - were ok. The guy who played Chino, was a total dork. and actually scary. He first appeared taking Maria out to the dance. He was very nerdy. Then toward the end, when he shot Tony with the gun, i thought, wow that guy was an introverted serial killer - you know, the quiet one in school who secretly is growing up to be a serial killer. very creepy vibes.

Likes - The scenes of NY were very good, and made me want to look up the history of that area, which was around 68th St and Broadway (the movie showed those two street signs. The area - before it got built up with new buildings - was a slum, and now is where the Lincoln Ctr for the Performing Arts is. They also took us up to a really beautiful building (on a date with Maria and Tony) which is the Met Art Museum.

The other thing - toward the 60% of the movie, I started to think this was made by Disney. It started to add in "woke" "snowflake" aspects like the song "America"... and i think in another section of the movie - the Puerto Rican Sharks gang called themselves "brown" people. That word "brown" was not used back then in the 1950's for Hispanics. They were called "Spanish" or another derogatory word.. but never "brown people" . that's what made me think this must be a remake by Disney . But the credits say that Rita Moreno was in the credits for the story or producer or something (i forget coz it flew by fast).

It was hard to see Rita Moreno change from the firey Anita to a gentle, older, curly haired gray haired lady shopkeeper, with no customers and a very dark store. Good to see her, but i didn't like how she aged so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 06:16 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I’m not sure if this is a thread about the movie, or your pre-existing biases.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:22 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
West Side Story was wrong, everything is not free in America, in reality it's quite expensive.

Old 01-22-2024, 03:04 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Everyone has biases. When i saw the movie, i was able to hear the woke words which were unrealistic applied to the 1950's setting of the movie. It was ridiculous. It is good to be able to hear them so you can be warned what kind of agenda the liberals are sneaking into movies nowadays. If you can hear them, you are awake, not woke, and you wont be fooled by a liberal snowflake agenda.

He who has ears to hear, let them hear.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Everyone has biases. When i saw the movie, i was able to hear the woke words which were unrealistic applied to the 1950's setting of the movie. It was ridiculous. It is good to be able to hear them so you can be warned what kind of agenda the liberals are sneaking into movies nowadays. If you can hear them, you are awake, not woke, and you wont be fooled by a liberal snowflake agenda.

Well that cleared up any question I may have had.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:46 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

I'd prefer a movie have woke themes than anti-woke themes.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:52 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:

Who are you calling a snowflake, when it's you who is the one who is triggered? Is it really that sinister, or is it updating the story for a 21st century audience (which happens all. the. time) and including the Puerto Rican and Spanish-speaking cultural perspective in a story told about them that didn't initially include their input?

Old 01-23-2024, 05:05 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Who are you calling a snowflake, when it's you who is the one who is triggered? Is it really that sinister, or is it updating the story for a 21st century audience (which happens all. the. time) and including the Puerto Rican and Spanish-speaking cultural perspective in a story told about them that didn't initially include their input?

The original was inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, so itself was the updating of another story.

The original is still there for everyone to watch, and the new version like all remakes has it's critics and divides opinion.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:23 AM

Don't even bother discussing the movie. This thread isn't about WSS. It's just an excuse to spew more "anti woke" rhetoric.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:54 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Agree totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies