Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:34 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times

Advertisements

After seeing the movie I the movie, it's hard to say if I liked it cause I feel the movie has a very suspenseful story that works, but I feel that the music was very oddly out of place. The music worked in certain scenes, such as the bad guys driving while talking about the sex crime of the century, but then when they play the music during the more serious moments, I don't know how to feel about the movie, cause it feels like it borders on exploitation perhaps.

But I did think as a horror movie, a lot of the elements were very effective. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 AM

911 posts, read 262,467 times
I only saw that newer one and it was OK but now that I know its not the orignal,I would LOVE seeing this 1972 one! (Probably better)

Old 04-04-2018, 01:36 AM

240 posts, read 254,066 times
I saw the 1972 original a few years ago, without knowing anything about it. It's a very effective horror and suspense movie, but also extremely disturbing (with multiple graphic rape and murder scenes.)

Not surprisingly, there was quite a bit of backlash against the movie when it was new, with some film prints even being destroyed by offended audience members or projectionists. It's apparently hard to find an uncut version of the movie because so many prints have been altered in some way (usually the removal of some or all of the most graphic scenes).

Old 04-04-2018, 02:52 AM

Hmmm sounds like the NEW one... Why would people complain about the original WHEN THE NEW ONE HAS THE SAME STUFF in it??

Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 AM

Well I think people complained about the original back then, because the level of violence was not common in movies compared to today, where so much gory violence in a horror movie is normal now.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
It was a good, intense film. It was the type of horror that is ground in reality. Crimes like this can and have happened. It also gets an audience going as the victims fight back. Part of it conveys how sometimes victims become as savage as thier attackers to survive. This can all be more impacting then hockey masked killers, zombies, freaks with pins in their heads or vengful angry ghosts.

This is why many of us love horror. Some films you dont watch. You feel and experience them. Horror does this very well sometimes.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
I think the new one completely changed the tone and content from the original.

I didn't think much of the original, but some influential critics really seemed to like it.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a...-the-left-1972

Quote:
"Last House on the Left" is a tough, bitter little sleeper of a movie that's about four times as good as you'd expect. There is a moment of such sheer and unexpected terror that it beats anything in the heart-in-the-mouth line since Alan Arkin jumped out of the darkness at Audrey Hepburn in "Wait Until Dark."

I don't want to give the impression, however, that this is simply a good horror movie. It's horrifying, all right, but in ways that have nothing to do with the supernatural. It's the story of two suburban girls who go into the city for a rock concert, are kidnapped by a gang of sadistic escaped convicts and their sluttish girlfriend, and are raped and murdered. Then, in a coincidence even the killers find extreme, the gang ends up spending the night at the home of one of the girls' parents.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/t...-the-left-2009

Quote:
I have seen four films inspired by the same 13th century folk ballad: Ingmar Bergman's "The Virgin Spring" (1960), Wes Craven's "The Last House on the Left" (1972), David DeFalco's "Chaos" (2005) and now Dennis Iliadis' remake of the 1972 film, also titled "The Last House on the Left."

What I know for sure is that the Bergman film is the best. Beyond that, the versions are a confusion of contradictions. I gave the 1972 film 3.5 stars, describing it as "a tough, bitter little sleeper of a movie that's about four times as good as you'd expect." I gave the 2005 film zero stars, describing it as "ugly, nihilistic and cruel -- a film I regret having seen." What do I think about the latest story about a girl who goes walking in the woods, is raped and in some versions is killed, and whose attackers then seek shelter in the house of her parents, who realize who they are, and take revenge?

Old 04-04-2018, 03:09 PM

I think I like the original better because I felt that it was an actual revenge horror, with the parents being the attackers and the villains defending themselves, but in the remake, the villains have the upper hand so much and it's the parents who mostly defending themselves, and it becomes more of a home defense thriller than a revenge thriller, which I don't that is what the premise is suppose to be.

Also, the remake suffers from some unintentionally funny moments, that stick out like a sore thumb and take away from the seriousness, such as the microwave death scene, and over the top things like that.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:43 AM

It IS good seeing the father who is a doctor getting revenge in the remake....

Old 09-03-2018, 01:57 AM

It depends on which revenge killing you are talking about. Do you mean all of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies