Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:23 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I were talking about comedy movies, and she said she usually hates watching comedies with female protagonists, because Hollywood does not have them act as dumb and as funny as male protagonists in comedies.

I was thinking about it and maybe she is right. I mean if you watch a movie like Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, the two female characters are dumb, but they don't act near as dumb as the guys from Dumb and Dumber per say.

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels just go way more over the top. Or even in The Three Stooges, you do have any female characters act as dumb as those guys. So is Hollywood perhaps afraid to push the stupidity with women compared to men, as as a result, female comedies may not be as funny to some audiences, then such as my gf, or myself, since I gravitate more towards the male protagonist, cause they are more dumb and over the top, in comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 04:57 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Dumb comedy is primarily guy comedy - can't be too dumb for a guy to laugh at it. The dumber the better - consider the classic Three Stooges and go on from there. Men don't tend to watch comedies with female protagonists. I don't think women like dumb comedy from women either...so, no audience for it.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
What do you mean by dumb? Look at the stuff Melissa McCarthy does.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Melissa McCarthy may be an exception, but no other female actresses are acting as dumb as her by comparison.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:42 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Comedy is being squeezed out in a 360 degree press named The SJW Squeeze Machine. Only straight white men are still fair game. Which makes a part of me resent almost everything but straight white males.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Ive noticed the same thing about kids in movies or tv shows too. I remember movies/ shows from the 70s, 80s, 90s, kids were usually depicted as being pretty dumb, naive, etc, nowadays though, kids are ALWAYS depicted as super bright, even surpassing their parents or other adults.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive noticed the same thing about kids in movies or tv shows too. I remember movies/ shows from the 70s, 80s, 90s, kids were usually depicted as being pretty dumb, naive, etc, nowadays though, kids are ALWAYS depicted as super bright, even surpassing their parents or other adults.
Starting with Homer Simpson, and properly congealed into a theme in South Park.

The answer to the question is that this one might not be political. IQ tests show that women tend to cluster in the middle, and men in the margins. Your average nobel prize winner for science is almost always going to be a man, but so is your average epsilon sub-idiot. So it may just ring truer to people to have men as the constant goon who never learns from his mistakes.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:58 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
My girlfriend and I were talking about comedy movies, and she said she usually hates watching comedies with female protagonists, because Hollywood does not have them act as dumb and as funny as male protagonists in comedies.

I was thinking about it and maybe she is right. I mean if you watch a movie like Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, the two female characters are dumb, but they don't act near as dumb as the guys from Dumb and Dumber per say.

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels just go way more over the top. Or even in The Three Stooges, you do have any female characters act as dumb as those guys. So is Hollywood perhaps afraid to push the stupidity with women compared to men, as as a result, female comedies may not be as funny to some audiences, then such as my gf, or myself, since I gravitate more towards the male protagonist, cause they are more dumb and over the top, in comparison?
I think that reflects the differences between men and women. If you watch Tosh.O, you see most of the people on video deliberately doing really dumb things for laughs (Like wedging a motorcycle wheel against the playground merry go round to make it spin really fast, then see how long they can stay on it, usually ending in pain) are guys.

I don’t know any women who act like the Three Stooges do, but I know a lot of guys who do.

However, the “dumb blonde“ has been a comedy staple for decades since the beginning of movies.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Comedy is being squeezed out in a 360 degree press named The SJW Squeeze Machine. Only straight white men are still fair game. Which makes a part of me resent almost everything but straight white males.
Where are you getting this? Look at the entire history of comedy movies featuring women. There have been women doing all types of comedy. Gracie Allen, Lucille Ball. Today, McCarthy, Rebel Wilson, etc.

White men are not victims of the movie industry. They get the most roles and the highest pay. Facts.

So, what's bugging you? SJW are not a problem for white men because there isn't a problem for white men in Hollywood.

Don't use Hollywood as an excuse for your misguided racism.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:59 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Tina Fey manages to convey wit, warmth and intelligence in every role she plays.

Most female comedies that I can think of (Bridesmaids, Pitch Perfect, Baby Mama) are more subversive than outright dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies