Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 02:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,640,515 times

Advertisements

I was watching this yesterday and a big part of the plot involves this ancient painting on a wall, they called it 'Egalles wall' (not sure on spelling of that)...

Anyway, the explanation was, Satan had appeared to 'Egalle' ( I assume in ancient times) and gave him a vision of who the antichrist would be and then Egalle painted this on a wall (obviously its the face of Damien Thorne).

Now, whats strange about this...in the movie, anyone who gets close to disclosing the identity of Damien, and linking him to Egalles wall...dies mysteriously, which is understandable, since Satan would not want his identity to be known before the times are right...

But I found myself asking, why would Satan have appeared to Egalle and given him this vision in the first place, if he didnt want anyone knowing the antichrists identity? That doesnt make any sense, but I guess Im not supposed to think too much about it! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 08:57 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,886,782 times
Like you said, the movie contained teenagers. Which to me means it was aimed a pre-teen audience. Maybe this should be asked in the children's forum. They might have more insight while they are still young, because in a few years they will realize like everyone else how ridiculous it is and won't care anymore.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:05 AM

Don't get me wrong, I used to LOVE these movies. The first three. But I also used to attend middle school. And that is the last time I remember ever discussing them, at least the second one. The Damien movie actually reminds me of middle school because I can remember talking about it when it was shown on TV once.

The first movie seems to remain popular, though. And I did actually watch the remake that was made.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:27 AM

Overall, I like the Daminen movie, mainly because it was set before he really knew who he was and then towards the end of the movie, he eventually recognizes, accepts and embraces his fate.

It may be a 'spoiler', but since this movie came out in 1978, I doubt it makes much difference...the ending is perfect...without any words being spoken, Damien knows what he has to do and he gets it done.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Overall, I like the Daminen movie, mainly because it was set before he really knew who he was and then towards the end of the movie, he eventually recognizes, accepts and embraces his fate.

It may be a 'spoiler', but since this movie came out in 1978, I doubt it makes much difference...the ending is perfect...without any words being spoken, Damien knows what he has to do and he gets it done.
Yes the second film was good, and I do remember liking the movie for a long time, I have to confess. I remember the scene where he learns his true dark identity and he runs screaming to the lake pier, in denial. I can even recall watching it with some friends during or after college. But these were evangelical Christians, and I don't think they were quite as "into" it as I was. They probably would have considered it a secular horror movie. So I probably was the one who initiated the viewing.

So, to go back to your original question. The purpose was probably to show the viewer the great powers this version of Satan had. But it still feels like it was ghostwritten by an adult who was strapped to a chair by some school boys telling him the main points of their plot.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:19 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,090,962 times
Yes I saw them all in the theater and they were popular then.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 AM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
THE OMEN is a very effective horror movie if you turn off your brain. It's basically comic book theology. All the "prophecies" and such revealing the antichrist, the seven daggers of Megiddo, etc. ... all total fantasy. None of that stuff is in the Bible or the archaeological record. The screenwriters just made it up.

This is quite different from THE EXORCIST, where Peter Blatty actually did his research. It comes across a lot clearer in the book than the movie, but all that stuff in the movie about Pazuzu the demon and the Roman Rite and the nature of possession is all extremely accurate in regard to Roman Catholic theology.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE OMEN is a very effective horror movie if you turn off your brain. It's basically comic book theology. All the "prophecies" and such revealing the antichrist, the seven daggers of Megiddo, etc. ... all total fantasy. None of that stuff is in the Bible or the archaeological record. The screenwriters just made it up.

This is quite different from THE EXORCIST, where Peter Blatty actually did his research. It comes across a lot clearer in the book than the movie, but all that stuff in the movie about Pazuzu the demon and the Roman Rite and the nature of possession is all extremely accurate in regard to Roman Catholic theology.
Yep, the only stuff that is real in the Omen movies, is the general timeline of the antichrist (7 yrs) and the fact he cannot be killed until the appointed time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies