Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 AM

23,225 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

I just watched Iron Lady with Meryl Streep and I sat there wondered what is her driving force, or any actor's driving force? Money? Ego? You get to take a vacation from being yourself and be someone else for a change?

I've read that Daniel Day Lewis can shut out the world for 2-3 months in preparation for a role, and all but becoming the character before shooting. Perhaps Meryl Streep does the same.

How about you? If offered enough money, could you match some of the performances you view in movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
You get more societal perks than the guy digging ditches. You get more money than the actor who works live or on a production planned to be shown on television

Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Most serious actors like Streep and Day Lewis do it for the creative challenge. The fame is just a byproduct, and it's not always welcome.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just watched Iron Lady with Meryl Streep and I sat there wondered what is her driving force, or any actor's driving force? Money? Ego? You get to take a vacation from being yourself and be someone else for a change?

I've read that Daniel Day Lewis can shut out the world for 2-3 months in preparation for a role, and all but becoming the character before shooting. Perhaps Meryl Streep does the same.

How about you? If offered enough money, could you match some of the performances you view in movies?
What is it? For me, it is the thrill of doing make believe, of being some else. I'm been Colonel Georgia Taylor and Dr. Heather Floyd. Sure, they were just monologues but to be people so famous in the movies, it's a rush!

My way of getting into character is that I become the character I want to play and then I play the character I am assigned. So when I was "Felicia" in "The Odd Couple", I became Racquel, an immortal imp whose only goal is to have fun. As "Racquel", I am inside Olivia's ranks and Racquel's goal is to drive Olivia insane, by being Felicia, by being someone she does not recognize as not quite her friend. That kind of concept drives the energy to be Felicia......and Racquel, in her many different forms, is my favorite character to play.

Racquel is not my only subcharacter, there are others. There's Rictor-Douglas, a man, for example. He's a WWI spy, an actor and I might play him on stage. Why? His mission is to impress the king in the audience with his performance so he can get close to him. He has to talk to the king in his dialect so to convince to turn against the enemies of the Allies.

HENCE, on stage, I may be playing him, putting out such a performance for the sub story of the king, even though my actual performance may be that of, say,Charmian (Antony and Cleopatra).

So, could I put out a performance of say Madolyn Smith, Shane Rimmer, Bernard Behrens, or Teresa Hill?

SURE!

Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Well, I think if you went out to Hollywood and asked one of the gazillion people trying to break into the business...majority do it for the money and fame.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, I think if you went out to Hollywood and asked one of the gazillion people trying to break into the business...majority do it for the money and fame.
I think the most enduring and respected Hollywood actors are in it for their art, however. These are the actors that took risks, exerted discipline over themselves, studied their craft and often chose a challenge over money.

Meryl Streep
Leonardo DiCaprio
Daniel Day Lewis
Julianne Moore
Annette Bening
Michelle Pfeiffer
Jessica Lange
Ian McKellen
Judi Dench
Anthony Hopkins
Kevin Kline

Old 06-28-2019, 09:36 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
The ones who do it for fame and money are typically the ones who never make a name for themselves and don't last very long in the biz. Not only do they often lack any real talent, they quickly find out that they were very mistaken about their idea of what the job would be like.

Successful actors and actresses (not just talking about the well known actors ... also referring to the types of performers who you see pop up all over the place in smaller supporting roles) are the ones who are talented and are doing it for the art.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:49 AM

749 posts, read 581,529 times
I think it is love of money and love of acting, a passion.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:20 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
"I'm not an actor. I'm a movie star!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbLkYmWZJo

Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

For Streep, at least years ago before she became such an awards winner, etc, it was ,perhaps, to simply prove to the older stable of actors/actresses from the studio era(e.g. Bette Davis or Katherine Hepburn) that she had talent.

Hepburn once said about Streep, "you can see the wheels turning" meaning that Streep's technique was robotic and mechanical.

Well, maybe she heard that remark and decided to change things! Obviously she did and it worked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies