Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 04:01 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
For Streep, at least years ago before she became such an awards winner, etc, it was ,perhaps, to simply prove to the older stable of actors/actresses from the studio era(e.g. Bette Davis or Katherine Hepburn) that she had talent.

Hepburn once said about Streep, "you can see the wheels turning" meaning that Streep's technique was robotic and mechanical.

Well, maybe she heard that remark and decided to change things! Obviously she did and it worked
Hepburn had a lot of nerve saying that. All she ever played was Hepburn (with the possible exception of The Lion In Winter, where for once she didn't come off like some old New England Preppy with attitude). Streep has taken a lot more risks than she ever did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Hepburn had a lot of nerve saying that.
Yup. Sour grapes is sour grapes, even when they come from an icon.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. Sour grapes is sour grapes, even when they come from an icon.
Bette Davis could inhabit a character. So can Meryl Streep. Katharine Hepburn never could. She acheived fame not by talent, but by cult of personality ie John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Marlene Dietrich et al.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:36 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
I've often wondered just how many people who have never acted, could put on an Oscar-wining performance for the right amount of $$.

Let's say you're offered a role of pretending you're in love with a character you find repulsive, and you have to go to bed with him and show pleasure in it, and if offered $2 million, where you never had to work again, what kind of performance could we expect?

I took a class one time, Acting for the Non-Professional, and at the end of class we were to invite friends/family to the show we were to put on. I had one line, was to run out on stage and point to the over-hanging light bulb to exclaim: Look at that moon! and I even screwed that one up, pointing elsewhere than the light bulb. Now! If someone had offered me money, as an incentive, I think I would have wowed the audience with quite a performance!

Always wondered, how much of a factor is the money?

Old 06-30-2019, 06:27 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
One of my professional classmates (he was in theater for that was going to be his life while I was just doing it for fun) once told me, "Tamara, I can never tell when you are acting and when you are not.".

I like that!

Old 06-30-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've often wondered just how many people who have never acted, could put on an Oscar-wining performance for the right amount of $$.

Let's say you're offered a role of pretending you're in love with a character you find repulsive, and you have to go to bed with him and show pleasure in it, and if offered $2 million, where you never had to work again, what kind of performance could we expect?

I took a class one time, Acting for the Non-Professional, and at the end of class we were to invite friends/family to the show we were to put on. I had one line, was to run out on stage and point to the over-hanging light bulb to exclaim: Look at that moon! and I even screwed that one up, pointing elsewhere than the light bulb. Now! If someone had offered me money, as an incentive, I think I would have wowed the audience with quite a performance!

Always wondered, how much of a factor is the money?
I'm sure this happens a lot. I've even heard anecdotes about A-list stars having a lousy script foisted on them by their agent, only to say something like, "Oh, hell, tell 'em I'll do it for $15MM", just to get them off his/her back. Lo and behold, the producers meet their demand, and they're trapped.
Besides, not every actor is financially solvent when such opportunities present themselves. There are tons of mediocre films with otherwise brilliant actors in them out there; I used to wonder, "why did they lend their considerable talents to that piece of crap?" Then you'd hear the same actors say offhandedly in an interview, "Oh, yeah; that dog paid for my place in Maui." I'm in no position to judge them; besides, when an actual gem lands in their lap (think Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump or Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs), a shrewd actor demands points in lieu of money up front and makes real money.
As for your moment in the spotlight, why you sly dog. You sound like a bonafide scene stealer to me. Reminds me of Auntie Mame's star turn in Midsummer Madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555TjafRXgM

Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 AM

563 posts, read 677,504 times
Kids act and pretend. Acting is different than music, painting, literature, etc. Only adult people with personality disorders or other psychological issues, driving them, can become accomplished in careers as professional liars imo. The actors who do it for the money are the sanest of the bunch.

Last edited by glenninindy; 06-30-2019 at 07:06 AM..

Old 06-30-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Kids act and pretend. Acting is different than music, painting, literature, etc. Only adult people with personality disorders or other psychological issues, driving them, can become accomplished in careers as professional liars imo. The actors who do it for the money are the sanest of the bunch.
I think I'll leave this one alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies