Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2023, 11:55 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,694,418 times

Advertisements

The other night my wife and I watched Midnight Run. Sort of a buddy movie starring Charles Grodin as an accountant who stole millions of dollars from a crime boss and Robert DeNiro as the bounty hunter who is trying to bring him back. Grodin plays the mildly annoying character he would usually play when he would go on David Letterman, and DeNiro plays the character he plays.

It was enjoyable, although nothing serious. One thing we noticed is that if they made this same movie in 2023 instead of 1988 it would have been faster moving.

We also liked seeing the same guy who played Bookman, library cop, on Seinfeld as one of the crime boss's henchman. Recognized the voice before the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 12:47 PM

2,993 posts, read 1,762,978 times
"Guy Ritchie's The Covenant". Saw this last night. Very well done. Based on the true story of the war vs the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2018. The grueling task of an Afghani interpreter to get Jake Gyllenhaal's character, (Sgt. Kinley) who was gravely injured, back to his base. Sadly, the gains that were made were lost when the Taliban re-took Afghanistan leading to the disastrous pullout at Bagram air base, leaving over 300 US affiliated afghans to be murdered with thousands going into hiding awaiting their murder.

The current US administration was gutless and clueless like their leader. 13 US service members were murdered in a bombing a few days before the gutless pullout. Infuriating.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4873118/

Old 09-26-2023, 05:23 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,694,418 times
You wouldn't happen to know who made the decision to withdraw from Afghanistan, would you?

President Biden’s choices for how to execute a withdrawal from Afghanistan were
severely constrained by conditions created by his predecessor. When President Trump
took office in 2017, there were more than 10,000 troops in Afghanistan. Eighteen
months later, after introducing more than 3,000 additional troops just to maintain the
stalemate, President Trump ordered direct talks with the Taliban without consulting with
our allies and partners or allowing the Afghan government at the negotiating table. In
September 2019, President Trump embolded the Taliban by publicly considering inviting
them to Camp David on the anniversary of 9/11. In February 2020, the United States
and the Taliban reached a deal, known as the Doha Agreement, under which the United
States agreed to withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by May 2021. In return, the
Taliban agreed to participate in a peace process and refrain from attacking U.S. troops
and threatening Afghanistan’s major cities—but only as long as the United States
remained committed to withdraw by the agreement’s deadline. As part of the deal,
President Trump also pressured the Afghan government to release 5,000 Taliban
fighters from prison, including senior war commanders, without securing the release of
the only American hostage known to be held by the Taliban.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:21 PM

17,650 posts, read 22,702,175 times
I saw a movie last night i really enjoyed. It was White Squall-1996Starring Jeff Bridges, Caroline Goodall, John Savage, Scott Wolf, Jeremy Sisto, Ryan Phillippe, etc.

I think y'all will enjoy it. FREE on You Tube

Old 09-27-2023, 02:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 8,494,592 times
I saw "The Current Occupant" on Hulu. Psychological thriller.

It's about a man in in an insane asylum who claims to be the President of the United States. It had the feel of "Shutter Island." Some good twists and turns.

Old 09-27-2023, 02:20 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,979,414 times
Is it good for people who don't like violence or horror? Looks interesting.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:45 PM

8,364 posts, read 13,514,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I like Johhny Depp in certain things, but I never wanted to see him in Willy Wonka. Besides, I, and my mom, always loved Gene Wilder. Such a unique person. Too good.
Gene was a epic in that role and as mentioned he was natural at walking that thin line between ominous and whimsical back and forth without much trouble. He also had very sincere smile where Johnny's smile (intentional or otherwise) was down right scary!

Johnny Depp is truly epic in certain roles/movies like POTC, Benny & Joon, Edward Scissorhands and Ninth Gate where if the character needs to be a loner who is also a bit odd, awkward or ominous, he fits really well.
He made the character in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory come off creepier than I'd have liked. He was almost playing the same character as he did in Dark Shadows but with different make up and clothing.

I, particularly enjoyed and missed the chemistry between Gene and Richard in movies like Stir Crazy and See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

Oh, also, just watched Once Upon a Time in Ukraine on A Prime last night. Crazy movie, a little silly but entertaining with enough gore and action to keep this loco watching!

Old 09-29-2023, 11:02 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,107,845 times
Pumpkinhead with Lance Henrickson.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:12 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,107,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You wouldn't happen to know who made the decision to withdraw from Afghanistan, would you?

President Biden’s choices for how to execute a withdrawal from Afghanistan were
severely constrained by conditions created by his predecessor. When President Trump
took office in 2017, there were more than 10,000 troops in Afghanistan. Eighteen
months later, after introducing more than 3,000 additional troops just to maintain the
stalemate, President Trump ordered direct talks with the Taliban without consulting with
our allies and partners or allowing the Afghan government at the negotiating table. In
September 2019, President Trump embolded the Taliban by publicly considering inviting
them to Camp David on the anniversary of 9/11. In February 2020, the United States
and the Taliban reached a deal, known as the Doha Agreement, under which the United
States agreed to withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by May 2021. In return, the
Taliban agreed to participate in a peace process and refrain from attacking U.S. troops
and threatening Afghanistan’s major cities—but only as long as the United States
remained committed to withdraw by the agreement’s deadline. As part of the deal,
President Trump also pressured the Afghan government to release 5,000 Taliban
fighters from prison, including senior war commanders, without securing the release of
the only American hostage known to be held by the Taliban.
That's bs. Biden screwed up the Afghan withdrawal by pulling the military out first instead of last, not keeping Bagram and leaving from there, getting our weapons out and leaving Americans when he pulled out. He didn't help his case when he looked at his watch when our dead soldiers came home and his whoops bombing of an Afghan family and he doesn't do any favors when he self-aggrandizes and tells people his good son died in the Middle East when he didn't.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:33 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,020,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I saw a movie last night i really enjoyed. It was White Squall-1996Starring Jeff Bridges, Caroline Goodall, John Savage, Scott Wolf, Jeremy Sisto, Ryan Phillippe, etc.

I think y'all will enjoy it. FREE on You Tube
I love that movie—saw it when it was first released
Had many young actors that would go on to have decent careers
Sad ending…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies