Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 05:44 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,379,500 times

Advertisements

It was okay. Cast is great, and the story actually starts really good. But the movie has two MAJOR problems:

One, the tension never really builds. After a great Act 1 set up, the story just kinda wanders around. With a story like this, you want the tension to build and build and build until you are on the edge of your seat, waiting for the great pay-off. That never really happens. It's more of a, "And then this happens!" over and over. Part of it is that the bad guys are SERIOUSLY under-developed. They are just cardboard meanies. But the plot itself never really ratchets up the tension.

Two: Not enough Katheryn Winnick. Really good actress. Stunningly gorgeous. But her character doesn't really do anything in the movie than occasionally give Liam Neeson someone to talk to. And what tiny character arc she does have never resolves. She just sorta disappears from the movie.

So not a bad flick. But definitely disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxjhZb9TDQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 03:20 AM

3,885 posts, read 1,819,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It was okay. Cast is great, and the story actually starts really good. But the movie has two MAJOR problems:

One, the tension never really builds. After a great Act 1 set up, the story just kinda wanders around. With a story like this, you want the tension to build and build and build until you are on the edge of your seat, waiting for the great pay-off. That never really happens. It's more of a, "And then this happens!" over and over. Part of it is that the bad guys are SERIOUSLY under-developed. They are just cardboard meanies. But the plot itself never really ratchets up the tension.

Two: Not enough Katheryn Winnick. Really good actress. Stunningly gorgeous. But her character doesn't really do anything in the movie than occasionally give Liam Neeson someone to talk to. And what tiny character arc she does have never resolves. She just sorta disappears from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxjhZb9TDQ
It's available on EPIX and I considered watching it, but it looks pretty violent. I do like Liam Neeson as an actor though.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
It's available on EPIX and I considered watching it, but it looks pretty violent.
It's really not. There are some moments of violence, yes, but in terms of the "action movie" genre it is really pretty sedate. Nothing that you couldn't easily show on network TV.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:54 PM

2,993 posts, read 1,764,818 times
I like Liam Neeson and his movies, but doesn't it seem he is the epitome of a hypocrite?

He is an adamant gun hater and he would no doubt disarm law-abiding American citizens if he had any power to do so. Yet in just about every film he is in, he wields firearms in a stylish and deadly manner.

The fact is, he looks cool in all these movies with his guns and probably enhances gun ownership in some way.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
I like Liam Neeson and his movies, but doesn't it seem he is the epitome of a hypocrite?
I have no idea. I don't really keep up with various stars' political opinions. Those few I do know a little about, I don't really care. I don't have to agree with someone's opinions to enjoy (or hate) their movies.

Quote:
The fact is, he looks cool in all these movies with his guns and probably enhances gun ownership in some way.
You're probably right.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:58 AM

778 posts, read 355,580 times
Quote:

He is an adamant gun hater and he would no doubt disarm law-abiding American citizens if he had any power to do so. Yet in just about every film he is in, he wields firearms in a stylish and deadly manner.

I try to separate actors and their views for the most part.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:36 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,636,089 times
Watch for Amber Midthunder as the gas station cashier. There should be an Oscar for an actor who gets under 30 seconds of screen time and feels like a real person stumbled onto a set of cardboard walkons..

Old 10-24-2021, 09:08 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,392,897 times
Are there any of his movies that don't basically suck?

If he'd make a few outrageously terrible ones maybe he could get into nick cage territory. I mean that as a step up, odd as it may sound.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:12 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,392,897 times
Quote:

Democrat president and anti gun actors are the number one gun salesmen in the world.

The irony and hypocrisy is hilarious. Obama and Stallone are two of the greatest gun salesmen of all time. Obama still sells guns today and Stallone will for at least another 30 years.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Interesting point about Winnick. Made me think of the "Bechdel Test":
The three components of the test have very specific value when it comes to thinking about the presence of women in a story. The test goes like this: does the story have

1) at least two female characters, who
2) have a conversation with each other,
3) about something other than a man?

Slightly generalizable to this movie in that it sounds like she doesn't stand on her own but is only a prop for the main character to talk out loud and share those deep, deep thoughts that we know he has....

Unfortunate, but common - and too bad since it sounds like the plot could have been thickened a bit with a deeper female character...ha - or maybe ANY character.

Sorry, back on topic now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies