Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:33 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

I keep coming back to rewatching and enjoying this movie, like a cheeseburger stuffed too full of cheesy stuff on top of a fully American burger. The first fifty minutes are a nicely developed plotline that obviously showcases the U.S. Navy of the time. The rest is follow through and less satisfying, if predictable.

A favorite scene is the jets doing a flyover of the classic wooden yacht to the astonishment of the passengers, and then a vertical climb into the sky. The development of aviation in that forty years is fully showcased. To me, that alone is worth the price of admission.

I remember when the film was first released and there was a scene that spoiled the logic (such as it was).
Spoiler

In the original release, when the corsair at the beginning of the film lands, and the pilot is removed, Lasky looks down at him on the stretcher. The scene that was cut was of the pilot as a skeleton in a flight suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 11:17 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Also one of my favorites.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:42 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Yep, I enjoy this one. I remember the first time I watched it, I thought the storm that they sailed into was ominous to the point of being almost scary. It may not be the greatest movie ever, but it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. I've seen it several times over the years and haven't gotten tired of it.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:59 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
A reboot would be great. But in this time line the storm doesn't come back and the Jets blow the Japanese planes out of the sky and prevent WWII in the Pacific.

Then over to Eastern Europe to finish Germany.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:40 AM

748 posts, read 338,953 times
It's a cool movie. I haven't seen it a looong time though.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:52 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
One of the best!
Spoilers in the clip...but watch just up to Martin Sheen, then, ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHeyanhzTP0

Old 08-10-2022, 05:18 AM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
A reboot would be great. But in this time line the storm doesn't come back and the Jets blow the Japanese planes out of the sky and prevent WWII in the Pacific.

This is one of my all time favorites, and I give it a watch every couple years or so. I was young enough when I first saw it that I didn't see the "twist" ending coming and it really stuck with me.

I think this would make a hell of a alternate history TV series, in the vein of "Man in the High Castle."

Old 08-11-2022, 04:23 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

Better do it quick........for how long can they last without spare parts in a world that can't make their spare parts?

Not meaning to dash your dreams but that is an element in the story one would need to figure out.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:07 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Better do it quick........for how long can they last without spare parts in a world that can't make their spare parts?

Not meaning to dash your dreams but that is an element in the story one would need to figure out.
During the Cold War the Navy would neither confirm or deny the existence of special weapons aboard. You would think that the Captain would tell President Roosevelt that he is only getting one shot before his logistical tail runs dry

Old 08-11-2022, 07:46 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
During the Cold War the Navy would neither confirm or deny the existence of special weapons aboard. You would think that the Captain would tell President Roosevelt that he is only getting one shot before his logistical tail runs dry
Well, now we are getting into a complex situation, aren't we. That is, we have the O-6......we don't have the Admiral. If I had an Admiral aboard, I would expect the above but just the Captain, the carrier in a way in a non theater status? I don't know. I suppose we could write the story where they didn't bother to unload those things, that they were aboard BUT.........

............would someone really believe that the country would have only an O-6 who can decide to drop those things where he wants? Boomer boats are different since those missiles are not entirely under the CO's descrition of where they go.

Yes, no, I don't know but it comes back to the question of is the country going to leave a single O-6 with that much power?

Mind you, of course, we are just talking about a movie and if that is believable.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-11-2022 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies