Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 07:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times

Advertisements

Watched this remake of the beloved 1940 classic. This version will I think be soon forgotten.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4593060/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 02:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
The only thing I really took away from the trailer is that Tom Hanks is now being typecast as a European man with a bad accent.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Well, it is a Disney movie (shocker!).

Pinocchio released couple of years back with Roberto Benigni was a pretty good adaptation with very good CGI but no animation/cartoon parts. It is available on Amazon Prime.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:11 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
Tom Hanks should just retire if he's going to be doing crap like this, lol.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:20 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
It's true that every "live action" remake (in quotes because some of the "live action" remakes are actually CGI) so far has been underwhelming compared to the Disney animated version.

We found that true yet again with this remake of Pinocchio. What had been an extremely chilling morality tale (although nowhere near as chilling as the original story) has been distilled to just being an exciting day.

Whereas in the original Disney animation, Pinocchio had actually deserved to be turned into a jackass--yeah, he had bought that tail and those ears fair and square. But in the remake he's portrayed as a victim who was totally innocent. He never smoked or drunk beer (as in the original). He had protested doing anything "bad." So, he was just a victim.

In the original, Pinocchio even never got to school before going away with the fox and cat; in the remake, he was thrown out of school because the school master was bigoted against his difference, so he had no recourse but to go along with the fox and the cat. He was just a victim.

Also, the CGI of Pinocchio was nowhere near as expressive and finished as the animation...it was actually less professional, less animated, more "wooden"...so to speak.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:11 AM

28 posts, read 24,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Tom Hanks should just retire if he's going to be doing crap like this, lol.
Mansions not gonna pay for themselves

Old 09-14-2022, 02:29 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,780,418 times
I thought it was very disappointing, but I am not the target audience. My daughter really enjoyed the film.

Tom Hanks did a good job I thought with his role. One thing that bothered me.. this was based on an Italian setting and yet there were numerous black actors, which did not seem culturally accurate. It would have made more sense to have Italian actors.

Overall 1.5 stars

Old 09-14-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I thought it was very disappointing, but I am not the target audience. My daughter really enjoyed the film.

Tom Hanks did a good job I thought with his role. One thing that bothered me.. this was based on an Italian setting and yet there were numerous black actors, which did not seem culturally accurate. It would have made more sense to have Italian actors.

Overall 1.5 stars
Which characters were black?

Old 09-15-2022, 12:19 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Numerous black actors were added for the remake, if you haven't watched the film you can see a photo and name of the most prominent actors/actresses at imdb.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:

Overall 1.5 stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Quote:
Numerous black actors were added for the remake, if you haven't watched the film you can see a photo and name of the most prominent actors/actresses at imdb.

My question was: "Which characters were black?"

I asked that because none of the actors was Italian.

If you're going to complain about the black actors not being Italian, you should be complaining about none of the actors being Italian.

Otherwise, your complaint is just about race, not culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies