Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 04:32 PM

3,191 posts, read 1,283,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Eastman had a better range of products, and also had the first single strip color film that was economical to use. Technicolor had used 3 separate strips, one each for cyan, magenta, and yellow. Using a single strip made for less complex cameras and less complex processing. Eastman simply replaced Technicolor as the film stock of choice for those reasons.

Yes, new prints can be made from the negatives.
I would think Eastmancolor wasn't the only color film that exits in 70s ,80s when color cinema had become an ordinary thing even in undeveloped countries. It's so strange that I see nothing but Eastmancolor as if nothing else existed.

Also, don't negatives fade as well? How do they bring its true color back?

Last edited by The Grandeur; 11-26-2022 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 05:46 PM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Have you not seen any black and white films that have been "colorized"?

Black and White:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH541cXPdBM

Colorized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XbSoVGBDg

Old 11-26-2022, 06:24 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
I would think Eastmancolor wasn't the only color film that exits in 70s ,80s when color cinema had become an ordinary thing even in undeveloped countries. It's so strange that I see nothing but Eastmancolor as if nothing else existed.

Also, don't negatives fade as well? How do they bring its true color back?
Eastman was dominant in the US. In other countries, there were film stocks from Ilford, Agfa, Fuji, the Soviet producers, and others.

Negatives apparently don't fade. I have pictures that have faded or changed color, but the negatives are still in great shape.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:20 AM

50,842 posts, read 24,359,728 times
I was watching "How The West Was Won" last night, and was stunned at how impressively it has been restored.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Eastman was dominant in the US. In other countries, there were film stocks from Ilford, Agfa, Fuji, the Soviet producers, and others.

Negatives apparently don't fade. I have pictures that have faded or changed color, but the negatives are still in great shape.
Eastmancolor was dominant in Europe and India as well in 70s. Even Turkish color movies in 70s were shot in Eastmancolor.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:06 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Wasn't there anything else to use all these years except Eastmancolor for color cinema.
Did you not read the earlier response to this question?

Quote:
I can find any 3 strip Technicolor movie on internet from mid 30s to early 50s. Not lost.
No, you can't. Some have deteriorated beyond restoration, some were lost in fires, etc.

Quote:
I don't think most hollywood movies were lost from 30s and later. They were kept.[/url]
That also is incorrect. There are dozens of movies that no one has seen in decades - they were discarded, dismantled, left to rot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
With the rush to send old flicks to streaming services, quite a few of the old films that don't represent the best of Hollywood have been rushed to streaming
The same happened when VCRs became popular 40 years ago.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No, you can't. Some have deteriorated beyond restoration, some were lost in fires, etc.
I could find whatever 3 strip technicolor feature movie I checked on internet.

Obviously, number must be low.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 11-28-2022 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-28-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have you not seen any black and white films that have been "colorized"?

Black and White:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH541cXPdBM

Colorized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XbSoVGBDg

I mostly understand it is black and white. It is that obvious.

3 strip Technicolor movies look very different.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:47 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Quote:
Why were Eastmancolor films used in just about any American color movie from mid 50s until mid 90s?

It is as if there wasn't any other color film to use for the cinema except Eastmancolor. Lol.

Eastmancolor is also known with its color terribly fading until late 70s or early 80s, which, I think, is unless they were printed with Technicolor Dye Transfer.

It might be hard for your to believe but color TV or movies did not exist until the 50s when baby boomers were inventing things.

Eastman WAS the only company making color film for cinema.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It might be hard for your to believe but color TV or movies did not exist until the 50s when baby boomers were inventing things.

Eastman WAS the only company making color film for cinema.
Technicolor did not use Dye Transfer Process until 1926, those movies still had color (2 strip Technicolor).

I think Dye Transfer process brought so much better color look and no fade.

Also, Technicolor kept using Dye Transfer Process until mid 1970s in USA (Dye Tranfer Prints from Eastmancolor Negatives). You might as well say The Godfather wasn't a color movie with Technicolor Dye Transfer Print.

Instead of using 3 strip Technicolor cameras, Eastmancolor negatives were used to make the same thing, Dye Transfer prints by Technicolor.

Also, Germans were using Agfacolor for color movies in 1940s.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 11-28-2022 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies