Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:42 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

The 90s was the peak of the "erotic thriller." Not sure why this genre fizzled out.

https://stephenfollows.com/are-eroti...ers-dying-out/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 05:52 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The 90s was the peak of the "erotic thriller." Not sure why this genre fizzled out.

https://stephenfollows.com/are-eroti...ers-dying-out/
Good question. I suspect there are two reasons:

1. For a movie to be successful, lots and lots of people have to go see it --- hopefully multiple times. But with erotic thrillers, you are guaranteeing an R-rating, which kids and teens (the bulk of any blockbuster's success) can't go see. So it is much harder to turn a profit with such films, especially when more and more people every year have stopped going to the movies.

2. Sexual politics have changed a lot over the last 30 years. Some of that is a good and welcome change, but as with all things, the extremists have taken it to puritanical levels, so a lot of movies that came out in the '90s probably couldn't even get made today. Hollywood is too busy pandering to Twitter extremists.

Having said that, erotic thrillers really didn't disappear. They just did what all the other genres have done: Moved to cable. Erotic thriller movies are still common on cable and streaming services, and even very successfull series like TRUE BLOOD and WESTWORLD and GAME OF THRONES have enough erotica to make 9 1/2 WEEKS blush a little.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:06 PM

501 posts, read 195,888 times
Quote:
And yes, MAJOR LEAGUE is legendary. Just look at how many athletes in 2024 are still doing the Pedro Cerrano "marbles" dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epAkymGtKKE
Granted, I don't watch much in the way of sports outside billiards and old M/MA bouts, but I've never noticed any of the players doing this during a baseball game.

Pluto TV was showing this last night, so I left it on while eating dinner (I didn't finish the movie). Honestly, the marbles gag is likely the only solid gag in the entire movie. It all feels forced. The new character Rube's an awful addition and his "memorize the text in a Playboy or Frederick's catalog" shtick is a very weak gag.

Charlie Sheen isn't funny at all. At least what they wrote for him isn't funny. They even made James Gammon repeat his "what the hell are you doing here, and now" moment, and it's ineffective. Things like that work once.

In fact, the only truly solid element in the film is David Keith's role as the nemesis of Parkman.

The entire movie is a half-arsed attempt to recapture what made the first film a sleeper classic. The first twenty minutes should've been done as a Superfriends parody with a voiceover by Ted Knight.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
Granted, I don't watch much in the way of sports outside billiards and old M/MA bouts, but I've never noticed any of the players doing this during a baseball game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDPptgdsnY

Quote:
Pluto TV was showing this last night, so I left it on while eating dinner (I didn't finish the movie). Honestly, the marbles gag is likely the only solid gag in the entire movie. It all feels forced. The new character Rube's an awful addition and his "memorize the text in a Playboy or Frederick's catalog" shtick is a very weak gag.

Charlie Sheen isn't funny at all. At least what they wrote for him isn't funny. They even made James Gammon repeat his "what the hell are you doing here, and now" moment, and it's ineffective. Things like that work once.

In fact, the only truly solid element in the film is David Keith's role as the nemesis of Parkman.

The entire movie is a half-arsed attempt to recapture what made the first film a sleeper classic. The first twenty minutes should've been done as a Superfriends parody with a voiceover by Ted Knight.
I totally get why many people don't like the sequel. The original was a much more earnest movie and the sequel is more lighthearted and goofy by comparison. It would be like going from Nolan's THE DARK KNIGHT to BATMAN FOREVER with Jim Carrey jumping around in tights. For someone expecting to see a movie like THE DARK KNIGHT RISES instead, I could see how it could be a letdown.

But MAJOR LEAGUE 2 is undoubtedly the funnier movie, especially since Bob Uecker has more lines in the sequel.

https://marcwebersports.wordpress.co...-major-league/

Old 04-01-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
But MAJOR LEAGUE 2 is undoubtedly the funnier movie, especially since Bob Uecker has more lines in the sequel.
Nothing's funny when the jokes are forced. That's what I just explained in more detail than I feel is required.

The comparison of the Batman movies doesn't make sense. There's a canyon-wide divide between those.

Try Caddyshack (1980) and Caddyshack 2 (1988). Or The Blues Brothers (1980) and Blues Brothers 2000 (1998).

Old 04-01-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Nothing's funny when the jokes are forced. That's what I just explained in more detail than I feel is required.
We can agree to disagree. To me, MAJOR LEAGUE 2 is much funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5cN8FQQ7g0

Old 04-01-2024, 01:20 PM

^Yet another example. Quaid overdoes it, and they give him sidekicks! The hits keep coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies