Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2023, 08:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times

Advertisements

Seems like it used to be that films were re-made either to use a new star or do a better production overall, but now it's more to cater to special interests or changing views.

As it says, "Disney likes the cash."

The Man Reimagining Disney Classics for Today’s World
For more than a decade, Sean Bailey has run The Walt Disney Co.’s animated film “reimagining” factory with quiet efficiency and superhero-sized results. His live-action “Aladdin” collected $1.1 billion at the box office, while a photorealistic “The Lion King” took in $1.7 billion. A live-action “Beauty and the Beast” delivered $1.3 billion.
Disney likes the cash. The company also views Bailey’s remake operation as crucial to remaining relevant. Disney’s animated classics are treasured by fans, but most showcase ideas from another era, especially when it comes to gender roles: Be pretty, girls, and things might work out.
https://artdaily.com/news/158035/The...-today-s-world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 01:08 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Many would say that remaking the films to be more inclusive and respecting changing views IS making a better production overall. But I'd rather see Disney focus more on making films with new stories rather than just recycling old material. Why not tell stories no one else has told before? That would be very exciting!

Old 06-13-2023, 01:14 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Many would say that remaking the films to be more inclusive and respecting changing views IS making a better production overall. But I'd rather see Disney focus more on making films with new stories rather than just recycling old material. Why not tell stories no one else has told before? That would be very exciting!
I agree with that. I would LOVE to see Disney take cultural stories of heroes and heroines from around the world and make them into movies.

I also admit that the new "live action" movies can now take advantage of technological advances that can make the animated versions more REAL for kids of all ages. But it has to be done with respect to the story line. I don't care that Ariel was black, as long as they keep the story (mostly) the same. And I'll admit I haven't seen that one yet. Not sure I will 'cause the animated version is one of my favorites.

But, at the end of it all Disney is a business and will make money where it can.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:16 PM

12,863 posts, read 9,085,451 times
If they want to tell a new story, then that's great. But recycling the same film with just different "actors" and/or CGI instead of animation doesn't take much imagination. I'd much rather see that effort into completely new story lines rather than what they did to Star Wars or the classics.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:41 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Agree. It seems many people searching for validation or reasons to be offended refuse to take into consideration the point in time when "outdated" creative arts were made. Maybe they're just too lazy to spend the brainpower. Still, knee jerk reactions don't seem to require brains. IMHO, a less inclusive film can still present a social message precisely because it IS outdated. It may not be a message the filmmakers intended but that doesn't mean it can't present one in spite of itself. Thoughtful viewers should be able to apply context. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Granted, young kids may not be sophisticated enough to put an old classic in perspective, but isn't that a ready made teachable moment their parents or educators can make good use of? Guess not.

I watch a lot of classic films and am fully aware many of them don't reflect current attitudes and thought. Why would they? They were a product of their time. But if you erase or re-write history it can't teach, right? Just because it's outdated doesn't automatically mean a film doesn't have merit. Why do so many media consumers expect to have their paths made perfectly smooth? To be spoon fed everything?

I grew up watching Disney "classics". That doesn't mean I can't watch those same classics now but see them in a different light and I don't consider myself an uber-sophisticated viewer. I'd much rather watch attempts to present new stories or ideas than waste my time with the subtle-as-being-hit-on-the-head-with-a-skillet messaging in remakes! Especially when they try to "improve" every ordinary protagonist by giving them superhero-esque qualities. Gagworthy.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-13-2023 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-14-2023, 06:34 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,306,592 times
I wish they would truly "reimagine" some of their classics. But they aren't. They are doing remakes with only minor cosmetic tweaks. It's all coming across as visual tone deafness.

There is nothing wrong with casting a black actress to play Ariel. I applaud the studio's efforts to be more inclusive. But doing everything else in the exact same setting and race-swapping other roles with no rhyme or reason? It's lazy.

But Disney doesn't seem interested in making great art anymore. They are just churning out product. And they'll keep doing it as long as you keep buying it.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:16 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I wish they would truly "reimagine" some of their classics. But they aren't. They are doing remakes with only minor cosmetic tweaks. It's all coming across as visual tone deafness.

There is nothing wrong with casting a black actress to play Ariel. I applaud the studio's efforts to be more inclusive. But doing everything else in the exact same setting and race-swapping other roles with no rhyme or reason? It's lazy.
Have you seen the movie? It's not the same setting.

Old 06-14-2023, 11:02 AM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
I guess the question I would ask is: do people come to see the new versions of these films. Since the answer seems to be yes, I guess they are giving the public what it wants. So be it.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:01 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Have you seen the movie? It's not the same setting.
Maybe the current mermaid remake did a little bit more than the race/gender/orientation swap schtick but other remakes certainly didn't. It is still a remake of the original premise, just fancied up with more CGI. Disney isn't the only studio jumping on the inclusivity rehash bandwagon either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies