Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 02:26 PM

507 posts, read 202,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I thought B. Routh looked like Reeves and did a pretty good job but the movie was a bit meh (no fault of Routh).
Superman Returns was lackluster, not to mention an expensive box office bomb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 02:34 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,530,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nope. Because there are fewer things scarier than a villian with a valid point.

That's actually one of the fundamental differences between DC super heroes and Marvel super heroes.

With DC super heroes, it is the alter ego that is the disguise. Superman is Kal-El. He is Superman. Clark Kent is the disguise. Batman is the Dark Knight. Bruce Wayne died in that alley with his parents. Wonderman is Diana of the Amazons. Diana Prince is the disguise.

With Marvel, it is the total opposite. Peter Parker got super powers and now puts on the disguise of Spider-Man. Same concept with Daredevil. Or Iron Man. The only major Marvel character with an interesting identity crisis is the Hulk --- and it's one that the MCU utterly failed to realize in every respect.
Not in all the portrayals. In Lois and Clark: the New Adventures of Superman, Superman was the disguise and Clark was who he really was. He once told Lois, ''Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am.'' In another episode he said that the more he tried to be Kal-el the more he realized that he was Clark. I actually preferred that take on the Clark/Superman duality.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Christopher Reeve just knew how to carry himself in a way that Cavill never could.
Even when Reeve's Clark got revenge on the trucker in 1980, it seemed like Clark was the goofy underdog (plus it helped that Clark had received a blood nose in the earlier scene).
Impossible to see Cavill as a goofy underdog....
I never cared for the portrayal of Clark as 'goofy' the way that Christopher Reeve played him. I much preferred the way both Dean Cain and George Reeves played Clark Kent.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:55 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,155,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Christopher Reeve just knew how to carry himself in a way that Cavill never could.
Even when Reeve's Clark got revenge on the trucker in 1980, it seemed like Clark was the goofy underdog (plus it helped that Clark had received a blood nose in the earlier scene).
Impossible to see Cavill as a goofy underdog....
Christopher Reeve, to many myself included will always be THE superman.

Brandon Rouths career seemed to fizzle out after the Superman role. What happened with Brandon?

Would have been really interesting to see Nic Cages version. Test shots of him back then looked good.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:50 AM

22,940 posts, read 28,327,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Brandon Rouths career seemed to fizzle out after the Superman role. What happened with Brandon?
He has been and is still acting. Just hasn't been a mega-star.

The problem with SUPERMAN RETURNS was not Brandon Routh. The problem was the script. It was just a bad movie, plain and simple. Not Routh's fault.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
He has been and is still acting. Just hasn't been a mega-star.

The problem with SUPERMAN RETURNS was not Brandon Routh. The problem was the script. It was just a bad movie, plain and simple. Not Routh's fault.
So was the direction.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Costume reveal. The red trunks are back. The suit is reminiscent of Cavill's in Man of Steel but doesn't look as good.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

22,940 posts, read 28,327,427 times
Honestly, the costume is the least of my concerns. The original SUPERMAN movie with Christopher Reeve had a pretty silly costume, but it was still a good movie.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

As a bit of an aside, I like the way in which in 'Lois and Clark; The New Adventures of Superman' Clark said to Lois when she found out that he was Superman, ''Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.'' His was a human Superman, not an alien disguising himself as Clark Kent, but Clark disguising himself as Superman so that he could help people but continue to have a normal life as Clark, who he really was.

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
Costume reveal. The red trunks are back. The suit is reminiscent of Cavill's in Man of Steel but doesn't look as good.
This costume looks too heavy in that picture, too thick. And what's with the turtle neck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies