Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 10:21 AM

1,603 posts, read 869,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I will be curious to see how they handle the next book. I read DUNE MESSIAH ages ago and found it intensely boring.
Never read them, but I hear that book is all palace intrigue and no action. Hopefully they've plotted things out such that it will make an interesting movie.

As for Dune 2, we loved it, and managed to sit through the entire thing without getting up. It also helped that we watched the first Dune on 4k disk two weekends ago so everything was very fresh.

We pretty much NEVER go to the cinema anymore because it's hard not to feel ripped of by the quality of movies these days, but this one was well worth the $45 we dropped on tickets and treats. For reference, the last movie we saw in a theater was the Toho Godzilla last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 06:06 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Saw it for the second time today, and liked it even better the second time than the first time. To me, it’s primary problem is that it is a bit rushed, but given that it would take an entire miniseries to do the novel justice, that isn’t completely avoidable.

I just hope Dune Messiah will hold up as well!

Old 03-12-2024, 10:32 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,177,345 times
Does anyone else think the new worms look ridiculous going full speed with their mouths open? How'd they not choke like that? I still think Lynch's version has the best worm.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Does anyone else think the new worms look ridiculous going full speed with their mouths open? How'd they not choke like that? I still think Lynch's version has the best worm.
In the scene where Paul and Jessica first encounter a worm, we get a look down the worm's threat. It has 3 or 4 plates back there that it grinds together to make noise, and which close off the back of its throat. So I am not as bothered by the worms moving with their mouths open as you are. (Lynch's worms are cool, though!)

One thing omitted from the movies (probably for reasons of time) which I miss is an explanation of how the sandworms, the spice, and the water on Arrakis are interrelated.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:19 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
One thing omitted from the movies (probably for reasons of time) which I miss is an explanation of how the sandworms, the spice, and the water on Arrakis are interrelated.
I'm not sure it was omitted, but I can't recall it being mentioned. I think I'd have noticed it.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:58 AM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
In the scene where Paul and Jessica first encounter a worm, we get a look down the worm's threat. It has 3 or 4 plates back there that it grinds together to make noise, and which close off the back of its throat. So I am not as bothered by the worms moving with their mouths open as you are. (Lynch's worms are cool, though!)
This. There are a number of earthly burrowing or swimming creatures that have structures in their throat or back of the mouth (not very noticeable from the front) that prevent them from swallowing or choking on dirt or water. Not too much of a stretch that Arrakis' worms have them as well. My main objection to how the new release's worms are portrayed is how effortlessly they seem to move through sand and the way their approach is presented. Can't suspend disbelief and it destroys the concept of how massive they're supposed to be. Maybe it's just biologist brain speaking.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:43 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,177,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. There are a number of earthly burrowing or swimming creatures that have structures in their throat or back of the mouth (not very noticeable from the front) that prevent them from swallowing or choking on dirt or water. Not too much of a stretch that Arrakis' worms have them as well. My main objection to how the new release's worms are portrayed is how effortlessly they seem to move through sand and the way their approach is presented. Can't suspend disbelief and it destroys the concept of how massive they're supposed to be. Maybe it's just biologist brain speaking.
Ok fine so they won't choke with their mouth wide open, but don't tell me that leaving your mouth open is the most aerodynamically efficient way to travel through a high-friction medium. Wouldn't it be a better shot to have them open their mouth at the last moment to swallow some unfortunate Sardaukar?

Old 03-13-2024, 12:55 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Ok fine so they won't choke with their mouth wide open, but don't tell me that leaving your mouth open is the most aerodynamically efficient way to travel through a high-friction medium. Wouldn't it be a better shot to have them open their mouth at the last moment to swallow some unfortunate Sardaukar?
Certainly, but don't forget no one gets to see whether a worm's mouth is closed while they're submerged. We only see it when they're threatening, attacking or just about to swallow something on the surface! They may well keep their mouths shut the majority of the time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-13-2024 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-13-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not sure it was omitted, but I can't recall it being mentioned. I think I'd have noticed it.
You don't recall it being mentioned because it wasn't, which is a pity. Not essential to the immediate story, but knowing how the sandworms are tied to the spice does make the ecology of Arrakis seem more believable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. There are a number of earthly burrowing or swimming creatures that have structures in their throat or back of the mouth (not very noticeable from the front) that prevent them from swallowing or choking on dirt or water. Not too much of a stretch that Arrakis' worms have them as well.
OT, but I read the other day that Villeneuve's worm design was partially inspired by the adaptations that filter-feeding organisms here on Earth (especially the baleen whales) have evolved. The "teeth" are primarily strainers, not cutting/stabbing weapons.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:48 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
You don't recall it being mentioned because it wasn't, which is a pity. Not essential to the immediate story, but knowing how the sandworms are tied to the spice does make the ecology of Arrakis seem more believable.
I don't recall that they even identified why spice is essential to the rest of the galaxy.

As for the worms: They're sand ramjets, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies