Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 06:42 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Just got out it. I probably should have stayed home. It's a visual feast for the eyes but yet again, I didn't understand a thing going on. I've never read the Dune books so I was lost in the first movie too.
Having not read Dune before seeing the movie must be somewhat like seeing 2001 A Space Odyssey without having read the book. There is so much going on and not much of an onramp for getting up to speed. You sort of get dumped into the middle of things and have to scramble. Here the viewer was expecting space stations and interplanetary travel but the movie opens with apes whacking saber toothed tigers on the head with femur bones? No dialogue at all for the first 20+ minutes? What the heck! Did we walk into the wrong theater? My family and I went to see it when it was first released. I'd read the book so was prepared. I spent a lot of time furiously whispering explanations (and getting shushed by other audience members) to family sitting next to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 08:01 PM

7,908 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Went to go see this with my son. I enjoyed it thoroughly and so did he. I've read the book before but he hasn't. We were both able to follow the plot, but I did give him context a time or two. We both thought the casting was good...I see what people are saying about Christopher Walken. He was wasted there. Still enjoyed seeing him though. All of the Harkonnens were cast well I think.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:58 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
The 3rd act was way too fast.

I agree that Zendaya in certain scenes especially in part 3 was horrible.

Christopher Walken was a terrible choice. Terrance Stamp or Charles Dunce would have been better choice.

Spoiler
I wish act 2 they would have introduced the spacing guild and the other families. It could have ended with paul drinking the water and ending on a cliffhanger. Dune Part 3 would have been the all out war in Arrakis and the arrival on the emperor, the sadaukar, spacing guild and other families.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:46 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Having not read Dune before seeing the movie must be somewhat like seeing 2001 A Space Odyssey without having read the book. There is so much going on and not much of an onramp for getting up to speed. You sort of get dumped into the middle of things and have to scramble. Here the viewer was expecting space stations and interplanetary travel but the movie opens with apes whacking saber toothed tigers on the head with femur bones? No dialogue at all for the first 20+ minutes? What the heck! Did we walk into the wrong theater? My family and I went to see it when it was first released. I'd read the book so was prepared. I spent a lot of time furiously whispering explanations (and getting shushed by other audience members) to family sitting next to me.
This is almost verbatim how it was for me when I first saw 2001 as well.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:52 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
2001 is a masterpiece of cinematic art. As an engaging story ... ? Go watch 2010 instead. Likeable characters. A plot that moves along. Always clear what is happening and why. I had read the novels before I saw the movies, and even I will admit 2001 is an acquired taste. I love it. But I had to learn to love it.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:09 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
2001 is a masterpiece of cinematic art. As an engaging story ... ? Go watch 2010 instead. Likeable characters. A plot that moves along. Always clear what is happening and why. I had read the novels before I saw the movies, and even I will admit 2001 is an acquired taste. I love it. But I had to learn to love it.
I'm pretty sure 2001 started out as a film. It was loosely based on an Arthur C Clark short story and he also did the novelization, but this was always Kubrick's story. I don't know why people have a hard time following what's going on as the plot is minimal. The novel didn't exactly explain the beginning and the ending either.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:39 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm pretty sure 2001 started out as a film. It was loosely based on an Arthur C Clark short story and he also did the novelization, but this was always Kubrick's story. I don't know why people have a hard time following what's going on as the plot is minimal. The novel didn't exactly explain the beginning and the ending either.
The release of the novel tracked pretty close to the release of the film. I also read the novel first, but it was only weeks or a couple of months before the movie rolled into our town. I understood the story pretty well from the novel. I'm not sure I would have adequately grasped the "star child" if not for the novel.

Old 03-04-2024, 03:40 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

For instance, the Bene Gesserit is not on Paul's side. As with the novel, they are clearly upset that Lady Jessica has been doing her own thing instead of following their plan, and they're still concocting plans within plans. The Fremen are not divided...the surviving Northers (like Chani's friend) are not opposing the Southers. The south is their only sanctuary, and their initial skepticism has been overcome by the events.

Villeneuve has made Chani more of a rebel against the cause, but she appears to be on her own in that.
The conspiracy in the second book wouldn't work with this Chani so there needs to be a significant departure.

Old 03-04-2024, 03:57 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Villeneuve has made Chani more of a rebel against the cause, but she appears to be on her own in that.
Chani is BY FAR the weakest part of the movie. Not entirely the actress's fault. The character was poorly written and directed.

It has been 30+ years since I last attempted to read DUNE MESSIAH, but I have zero issues with the screenwriters making changes. I found DUNE MESSIAH a confusing slog of a book.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:35 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
The conspiracy in the second book wouldn't work with this Chani so there needs to be a significant departure.
That is a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies