Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:10 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,081,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
... and who can ever forget the iconic "In a world..." intro?
Some guy made a living from that! Same guy, same voice, same script...yawn.

Many of the more modern trailers are also overdone with booming drums and a cacophony of stringed instruments, for intensity. A good indicator that it's another POS Hollywood stinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:10 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,354,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You CANNOT have 25+ minutes of trailers from demanding a**holes, ten minutes of paid ads, a required PSA, as well as a film running 2 hrs and 10 minutes, and get in five shows a day unless you have zero clean-up time and allow stay-overs at a film where you are not allowed to do so or the checkers will ding you.
Wow. I long for the days of 25 minutes of previews. These days, we are lucky if we get two previews, but if you get to the theater early, you do have to sit through 20-30 minutes of non-stop obnoxious commercials. So we paid an exorbitant admission fee so that we have to sit and watch more commercials? Isn't the lack of commercials one of the reasons people use to enjoy going to the movies?

As much as I sympathize for movie theaters (I know how impossible it is to turn a profit, thanks to the vulture movie studios), I do sometimes wonder if the same people running them are the same ones running the airlines. Their mode of thinking seems to be ...

1. Let's charge our customers more money for less service.

2. Let's make the overall experience as annoying and uncomfortable as we possibly can.

3. Hungry? Why, here is some disgusting food for which we'll charge you ten times its worth.

And then they wonder why people don't want to partake of their services?

An average trip to the movies, taking into account tickets and snacks, is probably going to run you into the neighborhood of $50, unless you go buy yourself. Then you get to go sit in a filthy auditorium in an uncomfortable seat and watch commercials for twenty minutes. Once the movie finally starts, you are constantly distracted by rude audience members. And you're paying for this. Paying a lot.

This, combined with a movie industry that seems to have forgotten how to make great movies, is why people have stopped going to the movies. This isn't rocket science. People don't want what you're selling anymore. Fix it or prepare to go the way of the dinosaur.

Otherwise, I'll spend $20 on the video and actually enjoy watching the movie in the comfort of my own home.

Old Today, 08:19 AM

23,523 posts, read 44,204,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Some guy made a living from that! Same guy, same voice, same script...yawn.

Many of the more modern trailers are also overdone with booming drums and a cacophony of stringed instruments, for intensity. A good indicator that it's another POS Hollywood stinker.
Makes me think of Cameron Diaz' character in The Holiday, who made a very lucrative living producing movie trailers. The trailer that she has just finished in the film is a prime example of what you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqusU12yQOA

Old Today, 06:38 PM

23,638 posts, read 70,592,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wow. I long for the days of 25 minutes of previews. These days, we are lucky if we get two previews, but if you get to the theater early, you do have to sit through 20-30 minutes of non-stop obnoxious commercials. So we paid an exorbitant admission fee so that we have to sit and watch more commercials? Isn't the lack of commercials one of the reasons people use to enjoy going to the movies?

As much as I sympathize for movie theaters (I know how impossible it is to turn a profit, thanks to the vulture movie studios), I do sometimes wonder if the same people running them are the same ones running the airlines. Their mode of thinking seems to be ...

1. Let's charge our customers more money for less service.

2. Let's make the overall experience as annoying and uncomfortable as we possibly can.

3. Hungry? Why, here is some disgusting food for which we'll charge you ten times its worth.

And then they wonder why people don't want to partake of their services?

An average trip to the movies, taking into account tickets and snacks, is probably going to run you into the neighborhood of $50, unless you go buy yourself. Then you get to go sit in a filthy auditorium in an uncomfortable seat and watch commercials for twenty minutes. Once the movie finally starts, you are constantly distracted by rude audience members. And you're paying for this. Paying a lot.

This, combined with a movie industry that seems to have forgotten how to make great movies, is why people have stopped going to the movies. This isn't rocket science. People don't want what you're selling anymore. Fix it or prepare to go the way of the dinosaur.

Otherwise, I'll spend $20 on the video and actually enjoy watching the movie in the comfort of my own home.
Yeah, as I have said repeatedly since before the pandemic, the economics are simply no longer there for movie theatres in the U.S. What you are seeing are last ditch efforts to go and hold out as long as possible, in hopes of a miracle. The entire Bronx is down to one or two theatres, the drive-ins that limped through the pandemic are almost all gone. The era is over.

There are many more reasons for the demise, and the cumulative effect leaves no way forward. On the positive side, some of the movie posters and ephemera are now worth a LOT, and will only climb in value as people recognize the collector value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies