Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:51 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the 6th and 7th books, so I went into this one with limited knowledge. I thought the movie was good. It didn't wow me, but I also didn't leave feeling disappointed. There were times when I wanted something to happen.

My overall reaction was positive although not enthusiastic. But I left the theatre wanting to pick up the 7th book to see what happens next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab P A R T N E R View Post
Rowling and the movie makers got so greedy that they shot themselves in the foot with the Potter franchise. They (Rowling and her publishers) stretched the books out so far that they lost focus on their audience (Book one was for 10-12 year olds, book 7 was for adults.). Rowling and the movie people stretched out the movies so far that everybody lost interest a couple years ago and everybody (including Harry and friends) grew up.
That's kind of the point. Harry and friends are supposed to grow up over the course of the story - at the beginning they are 11, by the end, they are 18. For those who started reading them around 11 years old when the books and movies first started coming out, have also grown up with the books and movies. How many series can you say that about? Few have this many installments spanning this many years. Yes, the actors are by now a few years older than the characters they portray but that is not uncommon in acting. I really don't agree with this assessment at all.

Quote:
The last book will be in two movie installments, so we're probably talking another 4 years. *yawn*
GOOD! I would hate for them to rush it and have it all end too quickly! Just as I was going to see the Half Blood Prince, I was thinking how disappointing it is that it's all coming to an end soon.

Last edited by PA2UK; 07-20-2009 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Some people are easily entertained.
And some people are just incredibly rude.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, they cut so much out that if you did not read the books you would be totally lost. My 11 year old was bored by the end.
I think that has more to do with the length of the film than the content. My 33 year old husband did not read the books and was not lost at all, in fact, he thinks this is best HP movie of all of them. An 11 year old might lose interest in such a long movie though.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think that has more to do with the length of the film than the content. My 33 year old husband did not read the books and was not lost at all, in fact, he thinks this is best HP movie of all of them. An 11 year old might lose interest in such a long movie though.
He was just tired of sitting, that's the truth. He said he liked it, though.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth70 View Post
I would say, wait for the DVD rental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The book was certainly too detailed to include everything, but they left out too vital a chunk of the story. The three lead actors were good, but I agree that the movie left a lot to be desired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy the movie. [...]I'm just confused by some of the changes between book and movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
This movie, more than any other in the series, relied on dialogue to carry it, and although the action scenes are excellent, they are not nearly as numerous as in the previous films.
I agree with you, guys

Quote:
I was expecting a VERY emotional ending to the film.
Yes, I didn't like it very much . I can understand certain changes but not the way they IMO ruined the last part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Spoiler alert********

I thought leaving out the battle at the school was poor - did they really spend a full year trying to infiltrate the place just to break a few windows and leave?
exactly!

Quote:
I don't bat for the other team or anything, but I have to say Dan Radcliffe is a much better looking guy WITH glasses than he is without. Anyone else think this?
LOL, yes

Old 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I'll start by saying I'm a HUGE Harry Potter dork. I was one of those people who were following the books and hypothesizing with friends and on the internet about what the plot twists etc. were going to be.

Now, with that said, I think they left a few HUUUUUGE things out of the HBP movie. There was way too much focus on the relationship aspect and almost zero leading up to the 7th/8th movie. I had 3 main issues: (spoilers)

1* When Harry hid his potions book, that was supposed to be when he first saw the diadem, which is a pretty large part of the plot of book 7. Ginny hid the book in the movie... how is Harry supposed to remember where the diadem is?

2* The battle. What a disappointment.

3* The funeral. Dumbledore is supposed to be buried with the wand, which Voldemort gathers in the last book. Pretty important. I know you can safely assume he'll be buried with the wand, but the fact that Voldemort desecrates Dumbledore's tomb is a big push for Harry. Plus, the fact that they had a fake locked was brushed off, like it was no big deal. It would have been nice to see a bit more emotion and turmoil at that part.

Bah. We'll have to see how they cover for the plot breaks in the 7th movie(s).

Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'll start by saying I'm a HUGE Harry Potter dork. I was one of those people who were following the books and hypothesizing with friends and on the internet about what the plot twists etc. were going to be.

Now, with that said, I think they left a few HUUUUUGE things out of the HBP movie. There was way too much focus on the relationship aspect and almost zero leading up to the 7th/8th movie. I had 3 main issues: (spoilers)

1* When Harry hid his potions book, that was supposed to be when he first saw the diadem, which is a pretty large part of the plot of book 7. Ginny hid the book in the movie... how is Harry supposed to remember where the diadem is?
Also, when he hid the book it was to keep Snape from seeing it after he used that curse against Draco. The movie makes it look like his friends talked him into hiding it to keep him from using it any longer.

Quote:
2* The battle. What a disappointment.
Not only was the 'battle' almost nonexistent, but what happened to Harry's invisibility cloak, which also plays a very important part in the continuing story?

Quote:
3* The funeral. Dumbledore is supposed to be buried with the wand, which Voldemort gathers in the last book. Pretty important. I know you can safely assume he'll be buried with the wand, but the fact that Voldemort desecrates Dumbledore's tomb is a big push for Harry. Plus, the fact that they had a fake locked was brushed off, like it was no big deal. It would have been nice to see a bit more emotion and turmoil at that part.

Bah. We'll have to see how they cover for the plot breaks in the 7th movie(s).
And what was with the destruction of the Weasley's home? Another very important part of the continuing story, as some of the earliest parts of the next book take place there.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I hope I like it better than the last one. I really couldn't stand the casting or writing of the woman who was supposed to be evil and look like a toad rather than the squeaky hapless woman in pink.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Also, when he hid the book it was to keep Snape from seeing it after he used that curse against Draco. The movie makes it look like his friends talked him into hiding it to keep him from using it any longer.

Not only was the 'battle' almost nonexistent, but what happened to Harry's invisibility cloak, which also plays a very important part in the continuing story?

And what was with the destruction of the Weasley's home? Another very important part of the continuing story, as some of the earliest parts of the next book take place there.
From what I've gathered.... they destroyed the Weasley's home because they were getting rid of the wedding scene at the beginning of the next movie

Now, this is all speculative, but it seems pretty correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies