Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 04:55 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times

Advertisements

So, I saw the flick last night. It left me wondering what the filmmakers were trying to achieve. Were they wanting us to buy the "actual footage", or what? I was left scratching my head, because both the movie and supposed real footage seemed the same, acting-wise.

Has anyone researched the claims in the movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 PM

438 posts, read 946,921 times
I think they were just trying to make it "realistic" feeling. The better to creep you out?
One reason I don't care much for scary movies is because they are often cheesy and my brain is well aware that everything is fake. I think the producers on this one were trying to plant that seed of doubt in your mind...could any of this actually be true? How much of this footage is based on fact? It was similar to Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity, they just took it a step further and flat out claimed it to be based on actual events.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,931 times
I think they were attempting to make a film that left the viewer making his or her own conclusions. (Was it really aliens? Was it an exorcism? Was the women crazy? etc.) I really like the movie over all just because of its ability to get my hair to stand on end periodically, but the conclusion kind of left me with the feelig that it was all fake and that she was insane. OH! and the real footage was rather interesting, and I've done some research on it to see how reliable it is.

Source: The real story behind The Fourth Kind

"If you search for Dr. Abigail Tyler, Nome Alaska, a website called "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" provides a "biography" of Dr. Tyler with "related articles" on the topics of sleep disorders, emotional issues, hypnotherapy and regression therapy. However, the website does not have a homepage or contact information. The website was registered on GoDaddy in August 2009. A real online-medical publication would have such information, so this leads to the conclusion that the website is a viral marketing ploy, much like the promotion for the upcoming "2012" movie and the for "Institute for Human Continuity." Sorry to burst your bubble, but this doesn't rule out that Dr. Tyler 'could' have been based on a 'real' doctor; but if there were, the true account would have made for a much more interesting find."

Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Spoiler
In the real world, there's no actual occurrence of space aliens abducting people. Movies such as this simply encourage paranoia, which is why Democrats keep winning elections.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I think the new trend is to make movies look as real as possible.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchoate View Post
I think they were attempting to make a film that left the viewer making his or her own conclusions. (Was it really aliens? Was it an exorcism? Was the women crazy? etc.) I really like the movie over all just because of its ability to get my hair to stand on end periodically, but the conclusion kind of left me with the feelig that it was all fake and that she was insane. OH! and the real footage was rather interesting, and I've done some research on it to see how reliable it is.

Source: The real story behind The Fourth Kind

"If you search for Dr. Abigail Tyler, Nome Alaska, a website called "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" provides a "biography" of Dr. Tyler with "related articles" on the topics of sleep disorders, emotional issues, hypnotherapy and regression therapy. However, the website does not have a homepage or contact information. The website was registered on GoDaddy in August 2009. A real online-medical publication would have such information, so this leads to the conclusion that the website is a viral marketing ploy, much like the promotion for the upcoming "2012" movie and the for "Institute for Human Continuity." Sorry to burst your bubble, but this doesn't rule out that Dr. Tyler 'could' have been based on a 'real' doctor; but if there were, the true account would have made for a much more interesting find."
Very interesting! Thank you.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:40 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
just saw it today.
And once again
Spoiler
all the good parts are in the trailer

Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
When did they come up with a Fourth Kind? When I was a kid, we only had three kinds of close encounters and we liked it, by God! People today and their four kinds. Bah!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
When did they come up with a Fourth Kind? When I was a kid, we only had three kinds of close encounters and we liked it, by God! People today and their four kinds. Bah!

LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies