Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

I'm reluctant to see it since the book was so powerful and I can't imagine it could be successfully adapted to film. I have seen the previews, though. Only one person I know has seen the film, a co-worker, and she said it scared her to death; she had not read the book. Has anyone seen it yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm reluctant to see it since the book was so powerful and I can't imagine it could be successfully adapted to film. I have seen the previews, though. Only one person I know has seen the film, a co-worker, and she said it scared her to death; she had not read the book. Has anyone seen it yet?
I have. Posted on another thread about it.

I didn't read the book and probably never will. I went with my daughter, who did read the book, and she said the rape and murder of Susie was graphically described over several pages. They don't show the actual murder in the movie, although you know it is happening. It was disturbing, and I think that's because I am the mother of a daughter and what happens to that girl is my worst nightmare. I only agreed to go in the first place because I do like to look at Mark Wahlberg.

The guy who plays George Harvey, the murderer, was excellent in the role. It took a while to realize it was the same guy who played Nigel in Devil Wears Prada.

The surrealism of Susie's "in-between" world was very well done the way it connected what she was seeing with her memories and what was going on amongst the living. Another plus was the great props--cars, TV shows, the David Cassidy poster on Susie's wall, even the dishes at the dinner table--that were recognizable to anyone who grew up in the 1970's.

All in all it was a weird movie, not the kind of thing I would normally enjoy, but I have to say it was well put together. I think those of you who read the book will find it lighter than the book was, based on what my daughter has told me. Still, I didn't sleep well that night.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM

559 posts, read 651,259 times
I have yet to see the movie, or read the book.

But I did read the book the author (Alice Sebold...) wrote about her own rape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_(memoir)

Amazon.com: Lucky: A Memoir (9780316096195): Alice Sebold: Books

I find it interesting that she would write a fiction book about rape.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The guy who plays George Harvey, the murderer, was excellent in the role. It took a while to realize it was the same guy who played Nigel in Devil Wears Prada.
Yes, Stanley Tucci. He played the husband of Julia Child in Julie and Julia. He's an amazing actor. And I enjoyed the actress who played Susie, Saoirse Ronan, when she was in Atonement. Ronan stole that film, I thought.

Quote:
I think those of you who read the book will find it lighter than the book was, based on what my daughter has told me. Still, I didn't sleep well that night.
I don't think I can bear to see it. Alice Sebold is such a beautiful writer and I felt that the book was not as much about the violence of what happened to Susie as it was about the healing that her family eventually goes through. Thanks so much for your input.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 PM

82 posts, read 139,960 times
Hey dear I just watched it and trust me I enjoyed this rocking movie very much. It is very awesome and amazing movie that I have ever seen. The movie centers at a 14 years old girl, Susie Salmon, who has been raped and murdered by a serial killer, George Harvey. Saoirse Ronan has given rocking performance in this movie. If you want to Moderator cut: No outside download links allowed. click on this website.

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-19-2010 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Removed link.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
OBVIOUS SPOILERS BELOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4eyes View Post
I have yet to see the movie, or read the book.

But I did read the book the author (Alice Sebold...) wrote about her own rape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_(memoir)

Amazon.com: Lucky: A Memoir (9780316096195): Alice Sebold: Books

I find it interesting that she would write a fiction book about rape.
As you probably know, Sebold actually wrote Lucky *before* The Lovely Bones, at least in part as a form of therapy.
And of course the second, fictional book describes a rape as well as murder.
In a way, I actually preferred Lucky, which was riveting, though of course I'd never wish that horrific experience on anyone.

I keep going back and forth about seeing the movie.

Some of the reviews chastise Jackson for glossing over the actual murder; his movie Heavenly Creatures did the opposite.
There was one scene in the novel The Lovely Bones that rang false to me and I can tell it is in the movie--I might wait for the dvd.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,761 times
The movie was OK

Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,250 times
It has been awhile since I read the book but I did watch the movie last night--I enjoyed the movie although I felt like I was waiting to exhale the entire time--it was intense.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM

305 posts, read 798,339 times
I don't know, but every time I see this preview it doesn't appeal to my taste much. It seems creepy...maybe I will eventually rent it.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,483,693 times
The movie was OK. Of course the book was better. The movie had alot of special effects in it, maybe too many, you could tell it was a Peter Jackson movie because of that. I don't think very young children should see this movie. I noticed little children, like 7 or 8, in the audience and I winced that these kids saw some scenes that I did not think were appropriate for little children to view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies