Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think DiCaprio is one of the best actors over the last 20 years. I cant think of one movie in which I didnt think he did an excellent job in the role. On top of that, he rarely, if ever, chooses a bad film to be in.

Catch Me If You Can is another great movie he featured in during the last decade.

I agree 100% and I thought he was excellent in Titanitc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
but see, Blanchett MADE THAT FILM, not DiCaprio.
Domergurl I agree with you on a lot of stuff--but not that, not at all.
Blanchett was super but there was a lot more to that movie than Katherine Hepburn.
Quote:
i can't reconcile leo as a leading man because he has the face of a 10 year old boy ... he has the same face he did in Gilbert Grape. he was ok in the Departed, but i thought Wahlberg and Damen were better. Again, I don't get it with Scorcese and Leo ...
IMHO Leo has transcended his babyface.
I see it, yet I don't.
I think this is at least in part because the guy can act.
(Also, I am probably the only one in the world who didn't think The Departed was all that great a movie).
Giesela, I agree with you about the ending of the book (Shutter Island).

Old 01-26-2010, 01:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
yea BWP, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Note who won the Oscar for the Aviator and then tell me that Blanchett didn't make that film.

I remember watching some show ... Dinner for Five maybe? There was some seasoned actor on there who made an excellent point of how with today's crop of young-ish actors, they're all so bland and fungible ... and by bland and fungible, he meant, there's nothing distinctive about their acting style ... DiCaprio fits that bill to a T. Yea, he's a good actor ... ok ... so is Matt Damen, so is Mark Wahlberg, but there's nothing there that is remotely remarkable. When you think of clint eastwood, you have an picture in your head, Brando, yep, Hackman, even Warren Beatty ... you can even imitate Tom Cruise and know it's Tom Cruise! DiCaprio is just a bland actor, fungible ... tries new voices, but it's not convincing ... and again ... he has the face of a 10 year old boy. I'm not saying I don't think he's a good actor ... he's good, not great. But I can see why Deniro and Scorcese had such great chemistry Scorcese and Pesci too ... but I just don't think this Scorcese/DiCaprio is so great.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
yea BWP, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Note who won the Oscar for the Aviator and then tell me that Blanchett didn't make that film.
haha--yes, I do love Cate.
And yes, I know she won the Oscar--but it's not as if she stole the show.
Now, Christoph Waltz in Basterds--THAT guy stole the show.
Quote:
I remember watching some show ... Dinner for Five maybe? There was some seasoned actor on there who made an excellent point of how with today's crop of young-ish actors, they're all so bland and fungible ... and by bland and fungible, he meant, there's nothing distinctive about their acting style ... DiCaprio fits that bill to a T. Yea, he's a good actor ... ok ... so is Matt Damen, so is Mark Wahlberg, but there's nothing there that is remotely remarkable. When you think of clint eastwood, you have an picture in your head, Brando, yep, Hackman, even Warren Beatty ... you can even imitate Tom Cruise and know it's Tom Cruise! DiCaprio is just a bland actor, fungible ... tries new voices, but it's not convincing ... and again ... he has the face of a 10 year old boy. I'm not saying I don't think he's a good actor ... he's good, not great. But I can see why Deniro and Scorcese had such great chemistry Scorcese and Pesci too ... but I just don't think this Scorcese/DiCaprio is so great.
::makes dismissive wave::
The seasoned actor sounds a bit sour grapesish, but this attitude is not new.
Looks are superficial, but they do make a difference on camera.
There is a reason why, far earlier in his career, Robert Redford was told to darken his hair. I've read interviews where darkening Jude Law's hair is discussed. Peter O Toole lost the role in Hitchcock's Marnie because Hitchcock preferred darker men in his films.
The camera loves blond women, but men, not so much.
Who has more compelling looks, Cruise and Robert Downey Jr or Leo and Matt? I would have to go with Downey/Cruise.
Now, in terms of working with Scorsese and being his new muse, well, I am not *thrilled* about this relationship but I liked Gangs if not The Departed, and loved The Aviator. We shall see how Shutter Island turns out.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Just a word of warning about the plot of this movie. I have read the book and it isn't what you are originally led to think it is. It is not a detective story. I won't give it away but it is more like a drawn out twilight zone episode. I actually ended up not liking the story much but that was because I was expecting something different.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
...I was expecting something different.
This is the crux of it, and we shall see if Scorsese rises to the occasion with his cinematic adaptation.
It's still unspecific, but we're *almost* getting into spoiler territory here.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
but it's not as if she stole the show.
yes she did. When you think of the aviator, you don't go ... wow, DiCaprio's performance was magnificent ... you say .... dang!!! Blanchett stole the movie!

Quote:
Now, Christoph Waltz in Basterds--THAT guy stole the show.
on this one ... I'm gonna have to give you the double high five. If he doesn't win the Oscar ... THAT will be highway robbery.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Default Shutter Island

We saw it today. Am not sure I liked it as much as I had hoped. Dragged in spots, exciting in others.
Interesting movie, not really sure if the pay off was worth the slooow unfolding of the story. I didnt read the book so cant compare the story/screen play. Dark,moody sets. Terrifying atmoshpere. I thought the ending clever, as you wonder if you are sure you know what happened.
I wouldnt have missed it, the trailor had me. DH was a bit confused and said he could never sit thru it again. Dont want to say too much to spoil it.

We went to the early aft. show today, you could have heard a pin drop thru the whole movie. Gotta love Scorsesse fans. (referring to the thread of rude,noisey theater goers)

Last edited by nanannie; 02-19-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Nanannie, I so want to see this movie. But I'm one who likes conclusive endings, and I get the feeling from what I have heard that this one might be left as ambiguous. Is that the case?

From everything I have heard there is an amazing twist...I'm dying to know what that is....did you have any inclination what it was (the twist) during the movie? Don't tell what it is, just, did you suspect or were you totally surprised?

Hopefully I can get to see it this weekend.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM

didee: the ending in the book is conclusive, but I was disappointed.
(I did read the book: I won't spoil the twist.)

The film will probably be here soon. The question is whether or not to drag my typically anti-theater husband out to see it.

Nanannie, I have a feeling my reaction will be similar to yours.
(I just had the spouse watch our rented dvd of A Serious Man and he was disappointed.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies