Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,283 times

Advertisements

Over-rated!!

It's a lousy, button-pushing movie full of overacting by pretty much everyone involved, heavy-handed direction, and the whole thing reeks of pretentiousness.

It reminds me of student films, so self-important and meaningful, man. Lack real talent? Throw in a swastika.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I've known skinheads through a family member, and they really are like that. It is quite disturbing.
what's more disturbing is how tons of minorities are still thousands of times more racist than white people, yet skinheads are the ones that everyone hates while they all get a free pass.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenant View Post
what's more disturbing is how tons of minorities are still thousands of times more racist than white people, yet skinheads are the ones that everyone hates while they all get a free pass.
That's actually what I love about this movie: it shows racism as it truly is--a war between two factions struggling for limited resources. There are victims on both sides of the struggle and, yet, it doesn't victimize either faction but presents each as equally capable and faulted (i.e. human).

I thought that it was a very balanced illustration of racism and the complexity involved in the issue.

And I do agree with the above statement as well. A lot of people seem to think that minorities cannot be racist b/c they are minorities, which is just as racist an attitude as believing that minorities are inferior. People should be evaluated re: their personalities, period; no skin color makes any person inferior or superior, or more or less prone to racism.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,974,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyWonder66 View Post
Have you seen Primal Fear, Fight Club or The Score. Edward Norton is excellent in all these. He is actually the only good thing in The Score.

Other films he is in are the hulk and red dragon. I cant remember these as I saw them a while ago but he is such a good actor there probably worth a watch too.

I loe American History X. I think it's supposed to leave you with that feeling as it's such a powerful film.
Primal Fear is awful. I had to stop it from boredom. If you want a great Norton film, check out The 25th Hour. One of my favorites of all time.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
That's actually what I love about this movie: it shows racism as it truly is--a war between two factions struggling for limited resources. There are victims on both sides of the struggle and, yet, it doesn't victimize either faction but presents each as equally capable and faulted (i.e. human).

I thought that it was a very balanced illustration of racism and the complexity involved in the issue.

And I do agree with the above statement as well. A lot of people seem to think that minorities cannot be racist b/c they are minorities, which is just as racist an attitude as believing that minorities are inferior. People should be evaluated re: their personalities, period; no skin color makes any person inferior or superior, or more or less prone to racism.
You have to define "racism" before you even go off on rants like this one.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
What part of "NO personal attacks" don't you understand? Furthermore, defining my post as a "rant" b/c you (apparently) don't agree with it is rude and pointless; if you don't agree, then post your own damn response rather than just calling mine a name

Old 04-06-2010, 07:25 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
This film is excellent but left me feeling numb and disturbed. Edward Norton was phenomenal. He really deserved the Best Actor Academy Award nomination. I would love to see him in more films.
Yeah, I'm a big Norton fan too. If you want to a great performance of his in a movie that's a lot lighter than Primal Feal or Fight Club, check him out with Matt Damon in "Rounders." It's about two poker-obsessed buddies who get in a little over their head. Great cameo performance by John Malkovich, too, as a Russian mobster nicknamed Teddy KGB.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You have to define "rant" before you can label someone's post as a rant.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 AM

223 posts, read 169,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
This film is excellent but left me feeling numb and disturbed. Edward Norton was phenomenal. He really deserved the Best Actor Academy Award nomination. I would love to see him in more films.
This is several years old, isn't it?
He was completely understated in The Painted Veil.
You might enjoy that movie, as well. Slow moving but memorable.

Quote:
What part of "NO personal attacks" don't you understand? Furthermore, defining my post as a "rant" b/c you (apparently) don't agree with it is rude and pointless; if you don't agree, then post your own damn response rather than just calling mine a name
Ummmm, what was a personal attack?
Did he swear in his comment? Call you a name?
He asked you to define your term, where is that a personal attack?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:59 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Quote:
Somebody's feelings are hurt apparently.

Racism is a broad term that can mean different things, depending on context. From a sociological perspective, racism can exist in many forms. This includes institutional and state racism. These forms of racism can not be exhibited by groups that don't have political power or control over the vast majority of wealth and/or natural resources.

Which brings me back to my previous post.
Quote:
Obviously, discussing this issue like an adult is beyond you based off of your reaction to my post. There were no "personal attacks" on my part. Grow a thicker skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover
You have to define "rant" before you can label someone's post as a rant.
Ill-informed pretentious statements or writings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies