Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times

Advertisements

Incredible performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman (who plays Hubbard), both of whom will likely receive Oscar nominations. A fascinating and gorgeously filmed movie, but very cryptic! Also an interesting take on the post-WWII 50's, when social conformity was the norm, while at the same time a lot of folks were open to individuality, exploring new ideas and searching for ''meaning'' (BTW, this is the era that also gave us Playboy magazine, McCarthyism, and Ayn Rand).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,804,502 times
I saw it! It was interesting. It was very cryptic and well - odd. I thought Phoenix was unbelievably good - I also thought Amy Adams' character was fascinating. The movie left far more questions than answers - I like that!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I saw it recently and it was a very strange and very "opaque" movie. I agree with with "Stillthesame"above that it posed far more questions than it answered and in a way could be seen by many people as infuriating because of its lack of "clarity" in terms of the plot. A lot of the audience seemed puzzled by it. Blink and you do miss a lot of tiny details.

HOWEVER I thought the acting was about as good as it comes, Joaquin Phoenix literally mesmerising in his ability to "own" the screen , Amy Adams was utterly superb ( her role is very understated which adds to its potency IMO, she has an almost Lady McBeth quality about Her and the subtlety of her acting is really astonishing ) and of course Philip Seymour Hoffman as fantastic as ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the acting was the star in a strange way. It was almost an example of how good an actor could get and you almost forgot the plot so utterly bewitching the acting....

Hubby was left feeling lukewarm precisely because of all the above but it worked for me.

Enigmatic, beguiling, beautifully shot, some genuine moments of raw emotions and truths and in some ways also a good social satire of a deeply conservative and conformist era.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
I haven't seen it but would like to if it comes to my area. Amy Adams and Hoffman are 2 of my favorite actors. I prefer to see something like this in the theater as oppsed to DVD.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I saw it recently and it was a very strange and very "opaque" movie. I agree with with "Stillthesame"above that it posed far more questions than it answered and in a way could be seen by many people as infuriating because of its lack of "clarity" in terms of the plot. A lot of the audience seemed puzzled by it. Blink and you do miss a lot of tiny details.

HOWEVER I thought the acting was about as good as it comes, Joaquin Phoenix literally mesmerising in his ability to "own" the screen , Amy Adams was utterly superb ( her role is very understated which adds to its potency IMO, she has an almost Lady McBeth quality about Her and the subtlety of her acting is really astonishing ) and of course Philip Seymour Hoffman as fantastic as ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the acting was the star in a strange way. It was almost an example of how good an actor could get and you almost forgot the plot so utterly bewitching the acting....

Hubby was left feeling lukewarm precisely because of all the above but it worked for me.

Enigmatic, beguiling, beautifully shot, some genuine moments of raw emotions and truths and in some ways also a good social satire of a deeply conservative and conformist era.
Amy Adams portrays Hubbard's 2nd wife, Sara Hollister, who was a pretty formidable personality in her own right, who actually helped organize, publicize and turn Dianetics into a successful organization. And Adams seems to capture some of that, although she plays her as much more low key than the extroverted Hollister apparently was in real life.

Hollister and Hubbard seemed to be a pretty well-matched pair, and just reading the few wiki entries for L Ron Hubbard, they both were extraordinary personalities (though not always in such a good way)!

Agreed, incredible acting, and Phoenix did "own" every scene. I mostly took the film as more about the odd relationship between Freddie Quell and Dodd, both of whom when you think about it, were probably each living in mentally ill fantasies most of the time, with Freddie's simply being more primitive and less grandiose than Dodd's. Which is also maybe kind of a metaphoric riff on the power of organized religion (which BTW, director Anderson has been very critical of in the past)!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Also an interesting take on the post-WWII 50's, when social conformity was the norm, while at the same time a lot of folks were open to individuality, exploring new ideas and searching for ''meaning'' (BTW, this is the era that also gave us Playboy magazine, McCarthyism, and Ayn Rand).
Yeah, that whole era proved this point:

“The reformer is always right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right.” (G.K. Chesterton)

Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
There's apparently a new biography of Hubbard out. I've never been able to make up my mind about whether or not he was a true sham artist of if he generally believed all the Dianetics stuff. The new biography apparently leans toward the latter. Although I once heard Jack Williamson (who knew Hubbard personally) confess that Scientology was always intended as a money-making exercise and Hubbard was more P.T. Barnum than Reverend Moon.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM

As any good salesman will point out, whether a used car dealer, stock broker, or a grifter, you still always gotta believe in your product!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies