Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times

Advertisements

One of my band mates and I were talking the other day and were wondering why women are underrepresented on certain instruments.

For instance, in the popular music world, there are very few female drummers. Also, although there are many women who play guitar, there are virtually no famous female guitarists who are admired by the public for their guitar skills. Most women I've seen who play guitar are singer-songwriters who gets more attention for their singing and their songs than their guitar playing. I have yet to hear the female equivalent of a Jimi Hendrix.

In the classical world, there are virtually no female professional conductors and famous composers. When I enrolled in a master's degree program in music composition, there were 20 men and only 2 women.

Pretty much the only instrument where women completely dominate is voice (well, and maybe harp as well). Anyone who's sung in a choir can testify that women almost always greatly outnumber men in this field.

It's really unfortunate that women seem to be so underrepresented in a lot of instruments. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Top 12 female electric guitartists
12 Greatest Female Electric Guitarists
They left off Melissa Ethrige and Sheryl Crowe

Here is a huge listing of them
Category:American female guitarists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of female drummers
Category:Female American rock drummers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
For instance, in the popular music world, there are very few female drummers.
You said it. I wonder are there any women here who want to be a drummer?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:12 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Girlschool and Rock Goddess are two of the best rock bands of the 80s and there are several others.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Female guitar,bass and harp

YouTube - Howling For My Darling - Debbie Davies

Another on guitar

YouTube - Laurie Morvan Band - My Baby Says live

One more

YouTube - Susan Tedeschi & The Derek Trucks Band - Little By Little

Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Girlschool and Rock Goddess are two of the best rock bands of the 80s and there are several others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Top 12 female electric guitartists
12 Greatest Female Electric Guitarists
They left off Melissa Ethrige and Sheryl Crowe

Here is a huge listing of them
Category:American female guitarists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of female drummers
Category:Female American rock drummers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I appreciate everyone giving some examples of good female musicians, but I didn't start this thread to discuss who are the best female instrumentalists.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the reasons for why women are underrepresented on certain instruments such as drums.

Last edited by Thursday007; 07-14-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyone giving some examples of good female musicians, but I didn't start this thread to discuss who are the best female instrumentalists.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the reasons for why women are underrepresented on certain instruments such as drums.
I don't belive I was arguing either way who was the best female musicians, simply presenting them. Some of these women do receive quite the recognition. To be honest I don't know even half the drummers in male bands I like.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,905 times
I don't know her name but she performed on American Idol this season. Caught my attention when she ripped out a few licks.

Also the girl that plays bass w/ Jeff Beck is outstanding by anyone's standards.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
You said it. I wonder are there any women here who want to be a drummer?
Me.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Pretty much the only instrument where women completely dominate is voice (well, and maybe harp as well). Anyone who's sung in a choir can testify that women almost always greatly outnumber men in this field.
I don't know that I'd say they dominate, but women are pretty common in cello, flute, piano, and violin. In fact I've heard of guys who see flute as "feminine" and avoid it. And almost every theremin player I've heard is a woman. (Lydia Kavina, Pamelia Kurstin, Clara Rockmore, etc)

It is true there are some instruments where women are pretty rare. Women who play saxophone are pretty much always alto or soprano. Someone named Amy Lee is the only female tenor saxophonists I find, but it seemed like Peggy Gilbert did baritone or tenor. No women look remotely akin to Stan Getz or Sonny Rollins though. There are some notable female trumpeters, like Cynthia Robinson of Sly & the Family Stone, but mostly I think it's fair to say trumpet is heavily dominated by men. Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, etc were names in their own right in a way Cynthia Robinson maybe is not.

I'm not sure if this is a proper thing to say, but I think men are more likely to have strong upper bodies (I don't though understand) so possibly it's easier for them to carry instruments like tenor or baritone sax or tubas. For things like trumpet possibly some men have more lung capacity.

On things like electric guitar if it's male dominated I think that might be because its image is, to some extent, "masculine." I think there are women who play acoustic guitar who's voices really aren't that great, but who do play well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music