Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times

Advertisements

It was ranked the top "Song of the Century" by the Recording Industry Association of America.

I would definitely consider it a candidate for "Song of the Century" among American popular music. Of course Jimmy Stewart's rendition in The Philadelphia Story is part of its proud history.

Maybe their #2 song White Christmas is better known and had a greater impact on American culture ... but ... I like Over the Rainbow better ... but ... I have to say White Christmas was the Song of the Century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Maybe "Happy Birthday" though it was written in 1893
Or, something patriotic such as American the Beautiful or SSB.

Or, some christmas carol

Or seeing that the later in the century you go, the more people there are and the more people have access to recorded music so maybe it is something by a pop megastar like Michael Jackson.

Or, what album has sold the most? Some Beatles album? Some Hip Hop album?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Maybe "Happy Birthday" though it was written in 1893
Or, something patriotic such as American the Beautiful or SSB.

Or, some christmas carol

Or seeing that the later in the century you go, the more people there are and the more people have access to recorded music so maybe it is something by a pop megastar like Michael Jackson.

Or, what album has sold the most? Some Beatles album? Some Hip Hop album?
Yes, White Christmas.

America The Beautiful might be a candidate since I just looked it up and words and music were first put together in 1910 ... but ... both the words and the tune were written separately in the late 1800s ... and the thing about White Christmas and Over the Rainbow is that they were both completely conceived in the 20th century as original music and they each have an artist who's performance is the standard against which all other performances of the song are measured: Bing Crosby for White Christmas and Judy Garland for Over the Rainbow.

Who doesn't know White Christmas ? Who hasn't heard Bing Crosby sing White Christmas ? I think they'd be hard to find. I just don't think any Michael Jackson song or even Elvis song can compare.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Rainbow Connection is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music