Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 08:29 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,862,798 times

Advertisements

.......I often find myself trying to find as many GOOD,pure things I can from the past IN ANALOG on either record,cassettes or whatnot and I have found some pretty amazing 60s and 70s GOLD on record!! (And some on cassette also)

Some bands I hadnt ever heard of and I LOVE!!!!!

One of them is a CACTUS record I found one day @ salvation army (Thier 1970 record) -- I hadnt ever heard of them but I saw some singers I knew listed on the back of the cover under the "Special Thanks to" and I got it....

ITS AMAZINGLY GOOD!!!!! (Rock)

What band/music have you gotton that you hadnt ever heard of AND LOVED IT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:42 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,159,193 times
I looked them up. Husband is a walking encyclopedia for pre 1990s rock and especially big on seventies music, so I thought I'd tell him about them thinking it might be a band he'd enjoy. Of course as soon as I said the name he rattled off the names of the band members and who they toured with. Just can't stump the man!

But yeah, I'm sure there have been a few. I know we have lots of prog albums that were bought based on names associated with the band, and most have been worthwhile. Our wedding song came from one of those albums bought "hearing unheard" - it was a spin-off duo of a couple of the early members of King Crimson.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:47 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,159,193 times
But that's mostly my husband's thing. Me, I've not had as good luck - there were a few years when I'd pick up an indie rock CD cheap at a used music store merely because I'd remembered a friend saying something positive, only to realize it was not good at all.

I've had better luck going to concerts of artists I've never heard, based on positive reviews. Lee Fields comes to mind - he was a peer of James Brown, sounds a lot like James Brown, but is still around and touring (with lots of old-school showmanship). He's great.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:58 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
I pick up background music from movies. Not the music you are suppose to hear, but real faint almost filler. Songs you don't always find on the movie tracks.

I used to love Peaches $1 bin and found some fantastic foreign music and my favorite Christmas In the Blues cassette.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:13 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,419,827 times
Mostly a classic country fellow myself these days but have always appreciated a wide variety of music since I was a kid.

Picked up a various artists sampler on the cheap of 60's Dutch rock, never heard of any of them but got stuck on a tune called "Mother No-Head" by a band called Group 1850 (one-eight-five-zero). Searched out their first album "Agemo's Trip to Mother Earth". Amazing rock/psych sixties stuff.

That's the thrill of the hunt.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,862,798 times
Yup there is MORE GOLD out there than we know!!

Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,234,516 times
I don't know if it's around anymore, but Headstone Friends in Terre Haute, Indiana, used to be my dream sight for finding music. For $2, I could sample a wide variety of music, especially hard rock/heavy metal. My prejudices against how good Christian metal could be evaporated with a couple of compilation cassettes. I even bought albums by several of the groups based on the songs included on one tape. Unfortunately, one group didn't follow up on its Def Leppard sound and apparently focuses more on AC/DC. But, when I worked at the city newspaper with other rock fans, I "blew their minds" by having them listen to this song then guess the artist; ALL of them said, "That's Def Leppard!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhhtd9ZYC0

And, I became a full-fledged fan of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFx5KCtQsvk

EDIT: I think it's still alive! I want to go there and photograph it from end to end then look for cassettes and LPs and singles! It's like what they called a "head shop" in the Sixties, not a drug place but one where they had black lights and posters, incense and burners, and tons of music.
http://www.thevinylexam.com/season-one/episode-30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music