Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times

Advertisements

I saw Guns N Roses in July 1991 and even back then did not consider them to be "Guns N Roses" because Izzy Stradlin was not in the band.

He wrote and co-wrote over 50% of the material on the two albums they were touring to support at that point in time (Use Your Illusion I, II).

And Duff co-wrote far more songs with Izzy and Axl than Slash ever did so he is a far more significant and relevant factor in whether or not the band could ever tour again with more than one original member.

Slash is a great lead guitarist and is a great "rock star". His writing contributions on the Use Your Illusion albums were minimal at best.

And, I don't want anyone saying that Slash really is a great song writer. Three years after the Use Your Illusion albums came out, he was running solo with his band "Slash's Snakepit" and the album "It's Five O'Clock Somwhere" is an abortion of a rock album. That was his first chance to actually release material that he wrote - in the absence of Duff, Axl and Izzy having any contributions and it was pathetic.

His new solo release has some notable songs on and has sold well, but then again. . . .studio ghost writers and song doctors are expensive $$.

GNR could realistically tour with an original line-up excluding Slash if it was an Axl/Duff/Izzy package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
what a GREAT show!! I mean GREAT!!!!!!!! Just had to tell someone! It really was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I have seen a ton of concerts and this really was one of the top 3. JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohh and I was the only sober person in the place!
A friend of mine saw Axl & Co in NYC, recently and said it was pretty good too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Lots of bands change lineups over the years and keep the same name. Look at Fleetwood Mac for example. They may not be the original GnR, but I'm glad that someone has something positive to say about one of their gigs.
the lineup has changed so often I Can't keep up!
Axl sure burnt the original members though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I saw Guns N Roses in July 1991 and even back then did not consider them to be "Guns N Roses" because Izzy Stradlin was not in the band.

He wrote and co-wrote over 50% of the material on the two albums they were touring to support at that point in time (Use Your Illusion I, II).

And Duff co-wrote far more songs with Izzy and Axl than Slash ever did so he is a far more significant and relevant factor in whether or not the band could ever tour again with more than one original member.

Slash is a great lead guitarist and is a great "rock star". His writing contributions on the Use Your Illusion albums were minimal at best.

And, I don't want anyone saying that Slash really is a great song writer. Three years after the Use Your Illusion albums came out, he was running solo with his band "Slash's Snakepit" and the album "It's Five O'Clock Somwhere" is an abortion of a rock album. That was his first chance to actually release material that he wrote - in the absence of Duff, Axl and Izzy having any contributions and it was pathetic.

His new solo release has some notable songs on and has sold well, but then again. . . .studio ghost writers and song doctors are expensive $$.

GNR could realistically tour with an original line-up excluding Slash if it was an Axl/Duff/Izzy package.
I'm a Slash fan.
I'm also of the opinion that GnR were as great as they were due to the contribution and mix of ALL members.

GnR with just Axl, is just Axl using the band name. He can. He owns it.

I liked Slash's solo album, and am looking forward to the next one

Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

Has anyone ever accused Slash of being a great songwriter? I agree with everything you're saying, I just never heard anyone say Slash was responsible for anything other than raising the stock of Jack Daniels and kicking ass on guitar.

I look at GNR like Van Halen, their whole was greater than the sum of their parts. Honestly, the OP is the first person I have heard say that the new GNR is any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music