Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Your band is Pop/Rock.

Nowhere close to punk rock or pop punk. Examples below for your

Can you elaborate on that ?

All I'm getting is if it guy not girl and aggressive ,mean and rough it is punk ?

I thought Pop music would include bands/singers like Lady GaGa, Britney, Madonna, Spice Girls.

POP ROCK is mix of pop and rock and does not have fast tempo and does not have a lot of chord changes it is melodic and does not have heavily distorted guitars and hard drums and is not loud .It is softer on the ear and not fast tempo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Can you elaborate on that ?
The song is too clean to be called punk. The production is over the top. The girls are trying hard to disguise it with the dress. Drums are too generic.

Quote:
All I'm getting is if it guy not girl and aggressive ,mean and rough it is punk ?
Chicks can punk it out too. Tonight Alive, for instance, plays a bunch of songs that would classify as pop-punk.

Punk doesn't have to be mean. Rough (in the sound, not necessarily the screaming lyrics that are found in Hardcore Punk) though is a trait. The rawness is what started the genre.

Quote:
POP ROCK is mix of pop and rock and does not have fast tempo and does not have a lot of chord changes it is melodic and does not have heavily distorted guitars and hard drums and is not loud .It is softer on the ear and not fast tempo.
Pop/Rock stands for popular rock. The song has catchy lyrics in a pop style. Musically it is plain old rock. Mix the two and walla why it is Pop/Rock. Any more example, take Avril Lavigne. Pop/Rock as they come. She has some songs that have a little distortion and uptempo drum beats and it still sounds pop/rock. Pop/Rock is more than just the handful of soft rock acts (i.e. Train, the Fray, OneRepublic, etc).

Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM

I will like you to elaborate on this.

Quote:
Punk doesn't have to be mean. Rough (in the sound, not necessarily the screaming lyrics that are found in Hardcore Punk) though is a trait. The rawness is what started the genre.

I thought Pop Punk often has a fast tempo, heavy drums and distorted guitars and a lot of chord changes and bit more melodic and catchy ,loud, uptempo and some what melodic

Punk rock is same has pop punk but not catchy and not melodic.

And I think you right that the punk rock may be not like pop rock but punk rock uses stripped-down instrumentation and the music is not clean and not catchy or melodic.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I will like you to elaborate on this.

I thought Pop Punk often has a fast tempo, heavy drums and distorted guitars and a lot of chord changes and bit more melodic and catchy ,loud, uptempo and some what melodic

Punk rock is same has pop punk but not catchy and not melodic.

And I think you right that the punk rock may be not like pop rock but punk rock uses stripped-down instrumentation and the music is not clean and not catchy or melodic.
That might be where you are tripping up. Punk genres as a whole I wouldn't say are melodic.

When I said raw, I mean non-conforming, not over produced, not perfect pitch vocals, etc.

As for Pop Punk, it is punk just catchy with pop lyrics. Again, just compare some of the samples and notice the differences. In most of the examples, you will notice drum rolls between transitions.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 AM

603 posts, read 967,082 times
Quote:
Lumping and splitting refers to a well-known problem in any discipline which has to place individual examples into rigorously defined categories. The lumper/splitter problem occurs when there is the need to create classifications and assign examples to them, for example schools of literature, biological taxa and so on. A "lumper" is an individual who takes a gestalt view of a definition, and assigns examples broadly, assuming that differences are not as important as signature similarities. A "splitter" is an individual who takes precise definitions, and creates new categories to classify samples that differ in key ways.
Lumpers and splitters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM

what PUNK music sound like VS POP PUNK music sound like !!!

PUNK VS POP PUNK! - YouTube

Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
That might be where you are tripping up. Punk genres as a whole I wouldn't say are melodic.

When I said raw, I mean non-conforming, not over produced, not perfect pitch vocals, etc.

As for Pop Punk, it is punk just catchy with pop lyrics. Again, just compare some of the samples and notice the differences. In most of the examples, you will notice drum rolls between transitions.
I don't know about you but most of the punk I hear are not easy on the ears and are more on the rough side!!

Any of the pop rock I have listen to well sounds like soft rock with catchy and pop lyrics normly love or relationships.

Both pop punk and rock pop are radio friendly where hard rock and rock and roll is too hard.And punk is very hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music